Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

paul22

Inside windows again!
« on: May 06, 2016, 04:23:01 pm »
Newbie to the site. Read many comments ,all been helpful. Just starting out trad and wfp (yes another one!). Not done many jobs yet, been practising on friends and own house. I cleaned the insides, looked ok until the next day, they looked smeary as ****. I wiped them with a damp cloth then polished  with a micro cloth . Should I add a degreaser to the water that I wet the cloth with or would it be the cloths that I'm using . Should I be using something like the Paragon Fishscale Glass Cloth and a degreaser in the water for best ,smear free results. Thanks for any comment

8weekly

Re: Inside windows again!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 04:24:41 pm »
Squeegee?

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 04:32:47 pm »
Squeegee?

What's one of those ? 😂😂😂

SeanK

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 05:05:46 pm »
As 8 weekly has stated you need a good quality mop and squeegee as faffing about with microfibers and pad systems will only discourage you from taking inside work on.
I recommend Unger soft rubber for inside work where your slightly restricted in the amount of liquid you can put on the glass
and HG window cleaner is the best solution I have found so far for interior  work.
Plenty of videos on youtube that will give you tips on cleaning interiors.

andyM

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 05:09:58 pm »
Newbie to the site. Read many comments ,all been helpful. Just starting out trad and wfp (yes another one!). Not done many jobs yet, been practising on friends and own house. I cleaned the insides, looked ok until the next day, they looked smeary as ****. I wiped them with a damp cloth then polished  with a micro cloth . Should I add a degreaser to the water that I wet the cloth with or would it be the cloths that I'm using . Should I be using something like the Paragon Fishscale Glass Cloth and a degreaser in the water for best ,smear free results. Thanks for any comment

You should be wearing pink marigold gloves when cleaning windows that way.
If you wasn't that's where you screwed up, and it all goes downhill after that.
One of the Plebs

Mick Kent

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 05:11:06 pm »
I find etore soft rubber the best and lasts the longest. Micro fibres do a poor job unless its to buff an already clean piece of glass. All your doing on a dirty window with a microfibre is spreading the dirt around and making it look hidous when direct sunlight hits.
Clean water in a bucket, dunk aplicator in then fairy up your aplicator and squeeze and rub excess water and soap off in your bucket then evenly spread over the glass ready to be squeegee'd off.
There is no easier way.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 11:37:19 pm »
Liquidator and razr rubber works well...takes a bit of getting used to though ;)

CleanClear

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 11:53:43 pm »
There is no easier way.

Just starting out trad and wfp (yes another one!)

I'd say Karcher vac until you become adept at it.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Smurf

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 12:15:56 am »
Trad can take a bit of practice but is not that difficult really especially on domestic inside jobs where you don't have to use ladders. 

Just make sure in advance that clutter is removed from the sills and you have clear access to each window.

Best to wear disposible overshoes and don't go making a mess like spilling your trad bucket on someones carpets etc.

As someone mentioned already there are plenty of good vids on the net to give you an idea of the different ways to mop and squeege different types of windows.

Also plenty of info on different type of trad gear you could use including instead of carting a bucket around a house is to use a spray bottle or bottle on a belt.

As they say practise makes perfect and all that.  ;)

paul22

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 12:29:59 pm »
Thanks for all your replies, the spray bottle seems safest bet indoors ,Smurf, as bound to knock bucket over! SeanK is that HG window cleaner from B & Q? AndyM I think I was wearing the pink marigolds that I picked up in the street that had just fallen out the back of your van!! Think it will be applicator and squeegee then and watch a few vids on youtube.

SeanK

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 12:49:08 pm »
Yes you can get it in B+Q or Homebase, what I will say is don't be tempted to buy their window cleaning gear as its useless
and for home use only, buy from a window cleaning supplier.
Spray bottle isn't great as its too slow and doesn't put enough liquid on the glass especially on a hot day, soak the mop in your bucket, wring it out slightly so as its not dripping all over the place, put it into your boab and away you go, just use the mop to catch the liquid again as you squeegee it off the glass and it will last a good while before you need to return to the bucket which you can leave sitting on the kitchen sick or similar if your fearful of spilling the contents.

andyM

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 02:57:39 pm »
Thanks for all your replies, the spray bottle seems safest bet indoors ,Smurf, as bound to knock bucket over! SeanK is that HG window cleaner from B & Q? AndyM I think I was wearing the pink marigolds that I picked up in the street that had just fallen out the back of your van!! Think it will be applicator and squeegee then and watch a few vids on youtube.

Can I have them back now then please?  ;D
One of the Plebs