Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

KS Cleaning

Payment from ex customer
« on: March 28, 2016, 11:35:03 pm »
Checked my business account tonight and noticed I had been paid today by a customer who had cancelled about six months ago......
They had put £1950 into my account, yes nineteen hundred and fifty pounds :o. I drove a mile and a half down to their house and  told them they had put the money in my account by mistake ( turns out they were trying to pay a company for a new door and window ) they were really grateful and thanked me for my honesty, then they asked if I could start cleaning their windows again....I told them I don't take back customers who have previously cancelled ;D

chris turner

Re: Payment from ex customer
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 12:02:18 am »
At least your honest.
I stuck £400 in the wrong account on boxing day, never got it back.
After reporting it to my bank I got a letter 2 weeks ago saying they were unable to recover the money, and if I want to get it back I have to fill in loads of paperwork and pay to get this person's details before even going through the process of taking them to court.
I couldn't be bothered for £400.

Smurf

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 12:30:51 am »
You could not be bothered for £400...  ??? Are you having a laugh or more to the point being fobbed off?
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/send-money-wrong-account

Smurf

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 12:34:52 am »
Checked my business account tonight and noticed I had been paid today by a customer who had cancelled about six months ago......
They had put £1950 into my account, yes nineteen hundred and fifty pounds :o. I drove a mile and a half down to their house and  told them they had put the money in my account by mistake ( turns out they were trying to pay a company for a new door and window ) they were really grateful and thanked me for my honesty, then they asked if I could start cleaning their windows again....I told them I don't take back customers who have previously cancelled ;D

Good for you KS as  it's illegal to spend the money anyway  ;)

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 12:44:05 am »
You could not be bothered for £400...  ??? Are you having a laugh or more to the point being fobbed off?

+1 he must be a fool.

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 07:17:22 am »

Brilliant reference smurf , I always wondered what happened if you get unlucky like that!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 08:55:28 am »
Another thing to be careful of is that the money that lands in your bank account is given time to clear before you return it. Or you might send the money back and the money that arrived magically disappears and so does your repayment.
It's a game of three halves!

Spruce

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 09:02:46 am »

Brilliant reference smurf , I always wondered what happened if you get unlucky like that!

I always sent a £1 first and only send the rest when the £1 is received.

Another thing to be careful of is that the money that lands in your bank account is given time to clear before you return it. Or you might send the money back and the money that arrived magically disappears and so does your repayment.

This is also a very good point to remember.

Inform the bank as it could also be part of a money laundering transaction that you could get involved with.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Smurf

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 09:13:09 am »

I always sent a £1 first and only send the rest when the £1 is received.

This is also a very good point to remember.

Inform the bank as it could also be part of a money laundering transaction that you could get involved with.

I think you will find most banking systems monitor and alert them of any suspicious transactions

chris turner

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 09:30:32 am »

The person had spent the money, refused to pay it back and didn't have the funds available in their account for their bank to take the money.
From my perspective it looked like the money had gone to some dishonest, skint person and even If id taken them to court the best I could hope for was a payment plan of the minimum amount possible, with no guarantee they would even stick to that.
So yes I couldn't be bothered with the hassle and spending more money on something that was likely a lost cause.

Smurf

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 07:09:17 pm »

The person had spent the money, refused to pay it back and didn't have the funds available in their account for their bank to take the money.
From my perspective it looked like the money had gone to some dishonest, skint person and even If id taken them to court the best I could hope for was a payment plan of the minimum amount possible, with no guarantee they would even stick to that.
So yes I couldn't be bothered with the hassle and spending more money on something that was likely a lost cause.

I see but is it classed as a civil matter or criminal act if so surely would be a matter for the police to get involved as they say it's illegal to spend the money?

chris turner

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 07:20:16 pm »

I see but is it classed as a civil matter or criminal act if so surely would be a matter for the police to get involved as they say it's illegal to spend the money?

Until I take the person to court and prove the money wasn't for them it's a civil matter.

Even with these new rules in place there isn't much you can do if the recipient of a wrong transaction spends the money before the bank can act.