Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Steven Greaves

Conservatory Cleaning including Roof of
« on: June 25, 2015, 03:59:49 pm »
Hello Everyone  ;D
I have just got a job request to quote on the full cleaning of a conservatory, side panels and ROOF. Moss /Algae build up on roof; and all UPVC need cleaning too. Can any one tell me please, how to clean the roof safely, and effectively (I have WFP machinery, but only standard ladders). And, some idea on pricing the job please?
Many thanks for your help  :D

Smudger

Re: Conservatory Cleaning including Roof of
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 04:18:35 pm »
Prices will vary across the country, and only experience will give you the information you require in knowing how long  these jobs take

Prices for a roof clean start from £70 upwards.

Unless it's self cleaning glass then you are best off  pretreating with Tfr - Virosol or similar

We usually split 3 meter double to gain height over the roof line ( pent roof ) pitched roofs can be done from the ground

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

dazmond

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 06:03:36 pm »
can you get to all sides of the roof from the ground?or will you need to pole from a ladder?

is it a pitched roof?or a virtually flat roof with hardly any fall on it?

is it clear self cleaning glass or polycarbon?

are the finials really dirty and outside gutters?

we need some more info mate! ;D
price higher/work harder!

robbo333

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 09:14:03 pm »
Does the customer have an outside tap?
Is the roof glass or polycarbon?
If glass, is it clear or with a blue tint?
Is it particularly dirty, full of moss etc?
Do you have good access to all sides?
Do you have any Virosol or TFR?
Is the conservatory big? How many 4 seater dining tables can you comfortably fit inside?
Over to you...
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Steven Greaves

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 02:11:22 am »
Hello all
Sorry guys, I have yet to see the job - will quote on Saturday. Or, perhaps best to view on Saturday, and say, something like, I will get the quote to you by Tuesday (for example). Then I can give you chaps more information. I think that might be best, as I really will be quoting completely blind otherwise; as long as she does not think - that my 3 days or so, to prep the quote,  signifies that I have not got a clue what I am doing? Which, of course, is exactly the case; but with research, and correct methods and products, I will be able to do a good job. Just hope she is not put off. As regards Glass or Polycarbonate, how do you tell the difference please?
Remember, I am very new to all this.
Thank you for now
From Steven ;D

sunshine windows

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 06:22:30 am »
Just quote for at least 2 x your premium hourly rate. A small conservatory (pitched roof) will take just under this to get a filthy one spotless. P shaped ones charge 3-4 times if filthy
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

Smudger

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 07:21:24 am »
Good grief - it's a conservatory, just bang in a price and if you get the go ahead do it Saturday

If you find it takes you 3 to 4 hours and only charged £50 then you have a benchmark for future cleans, if your a bit under priced on the first one or two, all you've lost is time but will gain valuable experience. Learn from that and charge accordingly in future ( I aim for hourly window cleaning rate + 50% )

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Mike #1

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 07:38:11 am »
Be warned if it aint that dirty it can still take some time and self cleaning glass i never use anything but pure water i aint risking damaging the coating although i am pretty sure Ecover washing up liquid is safe .

A basic clean with virosol sprayed on roof panels the scrubbed and rinsed with wfp ,  better to give the roof a really good final rinse with customers garden hose otherwise you will be on forever .  Small conny £40-50  if you start breaking out cream cleaners etc then you need to charge way way more .

I dont go down this route as people are pushed to pay £50 at times  if you think you have overpriced a job then you have priced it right whether you get it or not , Under price at you peril  ;D ;D ;D ;D

tonycarr

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 09:25:19 am »
Hello all
Sorry guys, I have yet to see the job - will quote on Saturday. Or, perhaps best to view on Saturday, and say, something like, I will get the quote to you by Tuesday (for example). Then I can give you chaps more information. I think that might be best, as I really will be quoting completely blind otherwise; as long as she does not think - that my 3 days or so, to prep the quote,  signifies that I have not got a clue what I am doing? Which, of course, is exactly the case; but with research, and correct methods and products, I will be able to do a good job. Just hope she is not put off. As regards Glass or Polycarbonate, how do you tell the difference please?

hi steven....polycarbonate is that plastic type sheeting, glass is glass, if you or they are unsure if the glass is self cleaning just look at the corner of the glass for a stamp mark......if it says PILKINGTON its self cleaning. just use  mild soapy water. dont use squeegees or scrapers.

tony
T & J Window Cleaning services

Steven Greaves

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 12:53:01 pm »
Hi everyone
Okay - the glass or polycarbonate question, was probably a bit stupid, but thanks for the Pilkington (self cleaning) tip. Going to quote in a few minutes.  Probably going to quote for 2 hours at my desired hourly rate(but, not mention how long it will take); and if a bigger conservatory, then 3 x .
Thank you everyone ;D ;D ;D

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 01:18:51 pm »
Question no-one's asked:

Is it outside only or in and out??

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 03:14:42 pm »
Even with just pure, it will come off, just depends how hard/long you want to scrub, less chemicals more time, more chemicals less time. My first connys roof clean was 30ft x 12ft,outside only, never been cleaned in 10 years, just using ALOT of pure and scrubbing , took 4 hours, thought it'd take 2, charged £50, underpriced but learnt for the next time

Steven Greaves

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2015, 11:31:49 pm »
Hello again
Been to look today, and turns out the roof is polycarbonate, and side panels glass. Fairly mossy and dirty. Quoted £70. Apparently the wife will let me know, next week, whether  to proceed. Any way - thanks for all your tips
Kind regards
from Steve ;D

wpclean

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 07:47:25 am »
When people ask for quote over phone, we explain would be minimum £100 +.      Worst job to do for us, so you have to price right.
An oustside tap will speed things up, and get a backpack filled with tfr soolution, will take half the normal time doing this.

martin hulstone

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 08:37:53 am »
I agree backpack and virosol makes it so much easier. As for price, non customers i charge high as we dont like doing them, customers we agree to charge an hourly rate so they pay for what they get.

koopmaster

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 05:45:21 pm »
I have been charging £20 a roof and walked off the last job becoase I just dont want to do them anymore.  Well undercharged so from now on I will refuse unless its £70 mini

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2015, 08:40:49 am »
i know roughly how long  most conny roofs takes to clean from setting up to packing away.(most around 90 mins).obviously if its not a regular customer then the side windows and frames will probably be filthy so more like 2 hours to do a good job.

i price them up to earn £40-£60 an hour as they are harder work than regular window cleaning.

i first spray the roof with virosol in a pressure sprayer,connect to customers outside tap(if they have one)with my 20m of extension hose specifically for these types of jobs and scrub and rinse like mad until clean!i start with the finials first and work my way down.

i find a stiff or medium bristle sill brush on a gooseneck best for me
price higher/work harder!

SeanK

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 09:03:52 am »
I have been charging £20 a roof and walked off the last job becoase I just dont want to do them anymore.  Well undercharged so from now on I will refuse unless its £70 mini

Same here mate I was undercharging for them as people in my area just don't want to pay the prices needed to get this kind of work done.
Put my prices up about 4 years ago and haven't done one since, haven't lost any sleep over this as they are a hateful job to do at the best of times.