Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dave Willis

polishing glass
« on: March 23, 2015, 07:18:02 am »
Has anyone successfully managed to polish scratches out of glass?
Wife inherited a mirror that must have been polished with a brillo pad  :o scratches aren't deep enough to feel but there's lots of them.

Clever Forum Name

Re: polishing glass
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 07:23:02 am »
Yep. It's all about speed.

When i worked for Autoglass "Jewelers Rouge" saved the day many times! Ideally needs to be used with a high speed buffer. We used dremels as quite often the damage caused was minimal.

Col

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 09:44:34 pm »
I don't know about mirrors but i did a builders clean a couple of years back where the glass had been scarred rather than scratched.
Not by me i hasten to add.
The units were imported and rather than replace them they got someone in to polish the ruts out and they looked alright as long as the sun was either just coming up or going down or even better not there at all.
I ended up doing some of the apartments as private jobs afterwards and there was a discernible haze to the glass.

kevincoggan

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 09:52:09 pm »
if the scratch can be felt with a fingernail then polishing is only going to matters worse as it can make a dished effect where the scratch was(damo can confirm that one)its often cheaper to replace the sealed unit than to polish out multiple scratches,on a mirror it depends,is it a very old one?a victorian one or older should be left like that as it is aged,if its newer its better and cheaper to have a new one cut

bobplum

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 10:05:30 pm »
search for  glassrenu

Lakes and Pennine

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 12:17:42 am »
used Jewlers rouge laqst year when a lsdder went down a window, job was a gud un