Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Carl2009

Failed Shurflo pump - can it be repaired?
« on: November 28, 2014, 03:04:18 pm »
Hi all,

I have just had a Shurflo 8000-946-138 pump fail after 6 years of daily use. Started taking a little longer than usual to start to pump, only a fraction of a second but enough for me to go aye aye it's on the way out, then started working only intermittently. I have a two pump system and always carry spares including a spare pump, which I have fitted but wondered if the old one might be worth repairing - could it be it just needs s new pressure switch?

Is it a complicated job? Any idea of cost of a new pressure switch?

Cheers

Smurf

Re: Failed Shurflo pump - can it be repaired?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 03:10:45 pm »
Are you sure it's fooked and not something else that's the problem?

Yes you can get the bits to replace the head but myself I would rather get a new pump that is if it needs sorting out. The cheapest I've seen for a new one the same is on Purefreedom site.

Dave Willis

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 03:24:06 pm »
about two quid from Maplins probably

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 03:50:46 pm »
Hi all,

I have just had a Shurflo 8000-946-138 pump fail after 6 years of daily use. Started taking a little longer than usual to start to pump, only a fraction of a second but enough for me to go aye aye it's on the way out, then started working only intermittently. I have a two pump system and always carry spares including a spare pump, which I have fitted but wondered if the old one might be worth repairing - could it be it just needs s new pressure switch?

Is it a complicated job? Any idea of cost of a new pressure switch?

Cheers
Hi Carl,
first thing you should do is eliminate the pressure switch as the failure.
Really easy to do, bypass it.
Remove the two red wires that feed the pressure switch and join them together, if the pump works, its the pressure switch !
and as Dave says £2 or whatever from maplins.
If it still doesn't work then 6 years daily use wasn't a bad return, just buy another  ;)

craigR

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 05:00:34 pm »
If you bypass the pressure switch as you've described can you run the pump like that or will it damage the pump.
Asking this because today one of the terminals on my pressure switch snapped off so if I can run without it. Great.

Thanks Craig.

Carl2009

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 05:50:25 pm »
Will have a go at bypassing the PS, see what happens. If it is that I might just get a PS from Maplins and try and repair it. Otherwise, 6 years day in day out - it's been a good workhorse. I'll probably get another anyway as a spare. For what they cost it's good peace of mind.

Cheers all.

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 06:38:41 pm »
If you bypass the pressure switch as you've described can you run the pump like that or will it damage the pump.
Asking this because today one of the terminals on my pressure switch snapped off so if I can run without it. Great.

Thanks Craig.
Hi Craig, do you use a flow controller ? some people bypass the pressure switch and rely on the controller to detect a dead end and turn pump off when pole hose is disconnected ,or in the case of a tap on the end of your hose reel or pole hose ,is closed.
If you don't then if you stop the flow of water by disconnecting pole hose or by a tap the pump will continue to run and pressure will build, something will blow, probably a hose fitting somewhere, probably doesn't do the pump much good either as it will put more strain on it.

If you do not restrict the flow of water whilst pump is running and can turn the pump off manually ( in line switch ) then its ok, although not ideal it would keep you working until you could get it fixed.

craigR

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 07:17:29 am »
Yes I use a flow controller so If I can Bypass the pressure switch in the meantime till I can replace the switch or pump I'll do that.
Thanks