Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

colin purewater

Re: Problem brown door
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 06:29:33 pm »
I wonder if they have used brasso on the letter box  and that's why it's only
On the bottom the the door were it's been cleaned on the way down

It's the drip from the letter box that makes me suspicious
keep it simple

Soupy

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 07:14:58 pm »
B.1. That's a good shout.

Vin, is it a stain is there a residue or is it through the coating ??

If it's a residue then try white vinegar

Going forward, liability or not and they are a good customer the fact remains after cleaning it it's come up bad. I'd be prepared to meet the cost of repair (if poss) or  cost of replacement failing that submit a claim  through your insurance

Darran

Definitely not a stain - the surface is gone.

Off to see them in a few mins.

Option 1: they know who fitted them and we follow that up
Option 2: I pass on to my insurers
Option 3: I try to polish a test area once insurers are involved

Vin

FYI, I spent a few quid on solvents etc and 4+ hours trying to polish the surface to no avail.
They're eeeting the dogs.
They're eeeting the cats.
They're eeeting the pets,
of the people who live there.

Smudger

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 07:20:33 pm »
Can these doors be refinished ? Ie anything that can be sprayed on?

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Perfect Windows

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 07:48:26 pm »
I wonder if they have used brasso on the letter box  and that's why it's only
On the bottom the the door were it's been cleaned on the way down

It's the drip from the letter box that makes me suspicious

One of the panels in the door surround (the side that would get the sun) is also gone.  Not inthe pic but just as bad.

Vin

Perfect Windows

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 07:51:11 pm »
Sooooo.  Went to see them.

Door is two years old and they have a 25 year guarantee.  They are taking it up in the morning.  They just wanted me to tell them it wasn't something I'd put on it.

We'll see what they say.

Vin

Smudger

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2014, 07:59:26 pm »
Sounds promising, at 2 years old there should be no quibbling on a replacement

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

alfie11

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2014, 08:25:58 pm »
I have a some of this on my door, I looked into it and a wild guess by me is

Doors have a fire retardent in them which seems to break down the clorine at a faster rate combined with uv damage is breaking down the clorine in the pvc (nearly 60% of pvc is clorine) clorine mixed with hydrogen makes hydrogen chloride, hydrogen chloride mixked with water  makes hydrochloric acid and I think that what causes it on doors

probably total b0llox  ;D

Elfyn

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2014, 08:26:14 pm »
Just a thought - would a car polish work - I'm thinking along the lines of the coloured (brown) wax?

8weekly

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2014, 08:42:20 pm »
Just a thought - would a car polish work - I'm thinking along the lines of the coloured (brown) wax?
Boot polish? You could buff it up.

Mike #1

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2014, 09:31:16 pm »
I use meguiars ultimate protectant on my own door and window frames which has a uv protective formula I have also used a polymer based spray both of which have kept windows and doors looking like new .

Good to hear they have 25 year guaruntee fingers crossed all goes well . Mike

duncan h

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2014, 10:32:01 pm »
no it wont polish etc the door is duff. read posts

Perfect Windows

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2014, 11:08:57 pm »

On the day she showed it to me, I did a tiny area with Autoglym polish.  It did come up better than it was, but nowhere near good, though I was pretty halfhearted.  Might be worth it before scrapping the door.

Vin

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2014, 12:48:57 am »
Hi Vin, i reckon its possible that after you left the job and the surface had dried out, your customer saw some water spotting which would show up well on that colour door, probably went looking in the cupboard under her sink picked up some cleaner with caustic or corrosive ingredients and proceeded to spray it on the door as you can clearly see the run marks/etch marks as the chemical will have run down the door, most cleaning professionals will know from experience that you should always when using a chemical cleaner spray a vertical surface from the bottom and work up to the top, as this will stop the chemical causing run marks on the surface, again i would ask your customer did she spray any chemical cleaner on the door surface after you left, it shows all the evidence of chemical etch marks running down the door and your average householder would have no idea about always spraying chemical cleaners from the bottom up on a vertical surface to stop these run marks, if it helps you out Vin we do carry an aircraft quality wax which would be far more effective than the Autoglym one you tried, it really depends how deep the etch marks are gone into the substrate, if you want to give it a go send me your Shipping address to info@jskcleaning.ie and i will send you over a bottle to see if it might rectify the problem.
Regards Tadgh

Soupy

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2014, 12:57:30 pm »

On the day she showed it to me, I did a tiny area with Autoglym polish.  It did come up better than it was, but nowhere near good, though I was pretty halfhearted.  Might be worth it before scrapping the door.

Vin

I tried foilsafe solvent. Got the door really clean but the discolouration was still there.

I also tried t-cut which certainly made a difference but I got the feeling it was removing the damaged surface which wasn't going to do the door any favours long term. Also I think it would have needed a good number of hours to get it anything like new - if indeed that was even possible.

If the door is under warranty the vendor should sort it.

Quote from: Tadgh O Shea
i reckon its possible that after you left the job and the surface had dried out, your customer saw some water spotting which would show up well on that colour door, probably went looking in the cupboard under her sink picked up some cleaner with caustic or corrosive ingredients and proceeded to spray it on the door as you can clearly see the run marks/etch marks as the chemical will have run down the door,

I don't think that's the case. If you look at my post from last year it was during a hot period (I had 2 cases within 3 days). I think the heat/sun has had an adverse effect on the wet surface of the door, as it was a 'bad batch' as stated by the supplier.
They're eeeting the dogs.
They're eeeting the cats.
They're eeeting the pets,
of the people who live there.

CleanClear

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2014, 07:13:28 pm »
I've seen this marking and staining on the brown UPVC window frames, and also fading on them. Also, brown frames are the only ones i ever get real spotting problems.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------