Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

bobplum

taking on an apprentice?
« on: July 26, 2014, 07:50:20 pm »
as anyone gone down this route?
If so whats your view on it

Many thanks
bob

Smudger

Re: taking on an apprentice?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 08:02:24 pm »
What sort of age ?

I get the impression from customers they are unhappy with you glad cleaning and being around their property (16 to 20 year olds)

Then you have the insuring them to drive ( ok sort term but when they need/capable of going out alone in a years time )

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

bobplum

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 08:07:30 pm »
i have to make enquiries on Monday, my employee as moved on :'( but thats ok because his marrying my daughter so revenge will be a drawn out affair ;D ;D, like a dripping tap ;)

SeanK

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 11:57:10 pm »
Could you explain to me what would an apprenticeship in window cleaning involve ?
What your looking to do is take on somebody, start them on a lower wage and increase it as they
get better and quicker.
Nothing wrong with that but please don't call it an apprenticeship.

oldman

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 04:14:10 am »
^^^ +1.....well said SeanK.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 07:27:36 am »
Could you explain to me what would an apprenticeship in window cleaning involve ?
What your looking to do is take on somebody, start them on a lower wage and increase it as they
get better and quicker.

Bob is talking about the government backed scheme.

http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/employers/steps-to-make-it-happen/incentive.aspx

bobplum

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 09:10:47 am »
get better and quicker.

I personally would not call it an apprenticeship, not compared to say a Plumber or Joiner, memories come flooding back, especially the flooding bit ;D
i have been told by a few that they"have an apprentice" i didn't know you could get an apprentice for window cleaning so thats why i am asking people and will be making enquiries on Monday.
I think with the advent of NVQs it has changed the whole nature of apprenticeships

SeanK

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 12:39:29 pm »
Honestly Bob if you have enough work just take somebody on, train them up and increase their wage
as they get up to speed.
The amount of crap you will have to put up with to get that £1500 will do your head in.
When starting up I went for a government grant through a similar programme, it was supposed to give me
£90 a week on top of my earnings for the first year.
Had to do a weeks business training and produce a business plan that met their approval.
Didn't have a lot of customers at the time so give it a go and to be honest the business training was useful.
But I was then given a mountain of paperwork which I had to fill out weekly and report to an adviser every two
weeks and give a detailed summery of how my business was going.
Not joking they where looking for how long it took me to do each job including start and stop times plus what I charged.
Would have spent most of the day filling out time sheets.
Failure to do this would end up in the grant being stopped.
For £90 a week I told them to get lost.
I honestly think that most of these schemes are started to make the government look as if they are doing something
but they really don't want to many taking them on so they make them as off-putting as possible.

H20cleaning

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 09:38:32 pm »
My uncle took on a apprentice a few years ago and hes still working with him now but on a normal wage!
Hes due to take on another one soon