Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Smudger

What PW should I upgrade to for van mount?
« on: July 09, 2014, 07:56:25 pm »

PW ing has been a real eye opener this year, it's been great and a really good stream of work coming in, so much so I'm now doing the sums for a dedicated PW van.

I've found the gx390 and inter pump more than a match for the jobs I've done, BUT

it's a killer when your unloading it for the third time in a day, and all the gubbins and tank etc... Time is lost waiting to fill etc...

Now I know I could just bolt this into a van with a tank plus reel and be done with it, however we normally work as a 2 man team, sometimes because there is other works, gutter clear, SFG cleaning, or PW work is fitted in between regular window cleans. So I would like a machine that could run 2 operators drastically cutting down time spent on the job and not having some1 ( or me ) standing around with their thumb stuck up their backside.

So looking for recommendations on larger van mounted pressure washing systems makes, size, reliability etc..

Thanks
Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

wpclean

Re: What PW should I upgrade to for van mount?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 08:06:31 pm »
Damian at Qwashers has made a van mounted frame for your model pwasher, maybe worth talking to him.

Matt Gibson

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 08:33:35 pm »
If you want a twin operator set up you will need at least 30lpm. You will then need a engine to run it at atleast 20hp minimum. Plus the fuel tank, hose reel etc. Kubot or lombardini engines. Expensive new, keep your eyes on ebay/gumtree.

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 08:42:04 pm »
Cheers Matt thinking diesel so would share fuel from van like the diesel water heating systems do.

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Kevin Miller

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 08:50:11 pm »

PW ing has been a real eye opener this year, it's been great and a really good stream of work coming in, so much so I'm now doing the sums for a dedicated PW van.

I've found the gx390 and inter pump more than a match for the jobs I've done, BUT

it's a killer when your unloading it for the third time in a day, and all the gubbins and tank etc... Time is lost waiting to fill etc...

Now I know I could just bolt this into a van with a tank plus reel and be done with it, however we normally work as a 2 man team, sometimes because there is other works, gutter clear, SFG cleaning, or PW work is fitted in between regular window cleans. So I would like a machine that could run 2 operators drastically cutting down time spent on the job and not having some1 ( or me ) standing around with their thumb stuck up their backside.

So looking for recommendations on larger van mounted pressure washing systems makes, size, reliability etc..

Thanks
Darran

Lee kenny may be a good guy to answer this as I know he has a great set up

Rob_Mac

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 08:56:55 pm »
Wouldn't you be better having machines that don't draw from your vehicle fuel tank. Cherry is about 80 pence per litre. White is considerably more!

Rob ;D

Rob_Mac

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 09:12:32 pm »
As someone who has two twin operator units I would recommend that you go down the route of one man & one machine.

Nightmare taking all the pressure & flow on your lance when the other guy stops pressing the trigger.

Rob ;D

Rob_Mac

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 09:28:06 pm »
Don't listen to me though Smudge.

I'm just a one man band, who makes no money and doesn't charge enough but if I get another set up and van (which is doubtful because I don't know how to run a business) I would be putting a set up in a box van.

With two 30 LPM machines, a decent size hotbox and that would give me further options.

I've worked two independant 15 LPM machines from more than one van, over the last 8 years of making no money ;)

Chris will be along in a minute to give you his 'Bannatyne' experience!

Rob ;D

Smudger

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 11:29:37 pm »
Good points Rob.

Forgot about red diesel !!!

Yes 2 Independent machines is another option, I just thought you more experienced guys just went bigger and better running multiple men off a huge machine 😃

Believe me Rob, your input and experience is beyond reproach 👍

Darran

wpclean

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 11:32:32 pm »
Wouldn't you be better having machines that don't draw from your vehicle fuel tank. Cherry is about 80 pence per litre. White is considerably more!

Rob ;D
Do you buy in Bulk Rob, it just under under a quid a litre here !

BDCS

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 12:06:12 am »
Search your local farmers co-op or buying group. I get mine from Kent wool growers and can buy as little as 600 ltrs at more or less the price Rob mentions. They take the orders then ring round their suppliers and buy the order at the best price - you all share the bulk price and the lorry just drives round multiple drops. VATS only 5% on red

KLEENAWAY

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 12:10:30 am »
Search your local farmers co-op or buying group. I get mine from Kent wool growers and can buy as little as 600 ltrs at more or less the price Rob mentions. They take the orders then ring round their suppliers and buy the order at the best price - you all share the bulk price and the lorry just drives round multiple drops. VATS only 5% on red

"As little as"  :o

Rob_Mac

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 07:31:56 am »
I don't know what happened a couple of years ago - it went from 45 per litre, up to 85 pence,

Extortion, extortion I say.

Coming down your way today Carl, not quite France (where your postcode is) Staplehurst!

Towing the shot blaster - not for reward though, helping a mate out ;)

Rob ;D

Rob_Mac

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 07:39:07 am »
There's pros and cons

I hate it when I have to split the H & M's flow, when working with someone else, 17 LPM is just pants when you have had more flow.

In your circumstances I may take the machines out of the wheeled frames, if they have one, possibly have a frame made that would be enough to cope, mount them side by side, reducing bulk but then you're just buying one more similar machine.

You can link machines together so 2 @ 21 will give you one @ 42 LPM.

35 & 40 LPM machines will shift just about anything, with very little chemical assistance but they also drink a lot of water and keeping them filled is always a problem, even on big commercial jobs.

The H & M is fantastic on fuel. I will get a solid week of ten hour days out of one tank, 70 quid. The Thor, when it is on full grunt will need topping up every couple of hours.

Keep it simple.

Rob ;D

wpclean

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 07:43:08 am »
Thanks mate  ;D

Rob_Mac

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 07:47:15 am »
Samo

Every winter I say I am going to buy 1000 litres and have it ready in the unit.

I think I could save ten pence per litre, by buying in bulk. When the first job comes in I always end up down there, filling my 25 litre containers and wishing I had bought it as one big lump!!!!

£100.00 saving doesn't seem here or there but it is when you start adding up, particularly as I don't make any money.

Rob ;D

Matt Gibson

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 08:16:55 am »
I looked into getting the cherry delivered to me but they said i needed a bumded tank. So off i plod to fill up my 25L containers.

BDCS

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 08:56:57 am »
In theory you do but mines not and nor are 90% of tanks on farms - petrol stations serve diesel into unbunded containers every day as car tanks and your jerry cans are only single skin. Most house heating oil tanks are still single skin.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atlas-bunded-oil-storage-tank-with-watchman-/181459089526?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item2a3fcdf876

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heating-oil-tank-Titan-1300-ltr-plastic-bunded-tank-/111404210098?pt=UK_DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item19f03557b2

Won't take long to pay for itself if your running white. They also come up cheap at farm and collective sales - Hobbs Parker run them down here.

The other alternative is to hack the top off a 1000 ltr ibc and drop a 600 inside and then pump it out with a hand pump.

Matt Gibson

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 09:15:23 am »
Yeah, I've seen a few cheapish ones come up, but the problem is i don't have anywhere to keep the tank.

I might have to "make room" because the depot where i go to fill my 25L up is an hours drive away. An there is no way im running my machine on white.

Smudger

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 11:38:58 am »
There's pros and cons

I hate it when I have to split the H & M's flow, when working with someone else, 17 LPM is just pants when you have had more flow.

In your circumstances I may take the machines out of the wheeled frames, if they have one, possibly have a frame made that would be enough to cope, mount them side by side, reducing bulk but then you're just buying one more similar machine.

You can link machines together so 2 @ 21 will give you one @ 42 LPM.

35 & 40 LPM machines will shift just about anything, with very little chemical assistance but they also drink a lot of water and keeping them filled is always a problem, even on big commercial jobs.

The H & M is fantastic on fuel. I will get a solid week of ten hour days out of one tank, 70 quid. The Thor, when it is on full grunt will need topping up every couple of hours.

Keep it simple.

Rob ;D

Cheers rob, I think 2 Independant machines will be the way to go, got a customer who runs a fabrication company and an engineering company is in the unit next door so a custom base should be doable.

Didn't know you could link them together sounds exciting !!!

Darran