Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dave Willis

George for dummies?
« on: April 17, 2014, 07:56:30 pm »
Got a new laptop and need to download all my system from the internet back up. My old laptop is buggered and any memory stick data is very old.

Anyone remember how to do it? I have the free trial installed and the other program. (forgot the name).

Data restore - that's it.

andyM

Re: George for dummies?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 08:44:44 pm »
http://www.georgesystems.co.uk/FAQ/faq.html

Q: How do I transfer George to another PC?

A: You have a choice of 3 ways to transfer your data...

Load & Exit George - when it asks if you want to backup to another drive say  yes and backup to floppy disk
or USB Flash drive.

OR -  Email the  file BACKUP.GEO from the C:\George\Backup folder on the old PC and pick up  the eMail
on the new one.

OR -  If you are a registered user - make sure you have the latest version of George on the old PC, do an internet backup and let us know when  you've done it. We can then eMail it to you for collection on the new PC.

Whichever way you choose to do it, install the latest George demo on  the new PC together with our Data Restore program (when they are installed run each of them once and then close it to initialise the links in Windows) .

If you are running Windows XP you can then open the file on the floppy disk / Flash drive or the eMail attachment and the Data Restore program will pop up and offer to restore your  data

If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7, EITHER save the file in C:\George\Backup (overwrite the existing file), then run the Data Restore program and click the “Latest” button OR save the file on your desktop and drag it onto the data restore program icon.

Make sure George isn’t running when you do it.

One of the Plebs

Dave Willis

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 09:49:16 pm »
 ;D yer I read all that and still couldn't work it out. Needs to be in simpler terms for my small brain. If it's automatically backed up on the internet then don't they send me my files through email?

andyM

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 09:55:45 pm »
I had to transfer George on to a new pc a couple of years ago.
And im buggered if I can remember how I did it.  :-[
All I can remember is that I emailed Paul@George and he sent me an attachment with my last back up and I had to do a Data Restore and follow the instructions that I added in the post above.
Sorry I can't be more help but if you are stuck and can't sort it I would recommend emailing Paul.
You might be in luck and he will email you back over the weekend which is what he did for me.
One of the Plebs

Dave Willis

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 10:14:28 pm »
I think he's clocked off for the weekend. I had to do it years ago too I think I had to drag and drop something into Data restore. Hope he's not gone away for the weekend  ;D