Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

AuRavelling79

Resurrected a job then refused it.
« on: February 17, 2014, 06:21:43 pm »
Very small commercial.

So about six months ago we started doing this small (£15 - petty cash) job monthly for a local branch of a hire company. Basically doors and side panels - 12 panes in all, an upper bank of eight panes and a pair of two pane windows.

Branch manager then says can we make it two monthly as head office (Ooop north in long pockets and short arms shire) think it's a too much money and so we agree £18 every two months.

Branch manager then says he's leaving and he'll leave a note for the new guy.

So I start on the neighbouring unit and ask DtM (as he canvassed it in the first place) to go and see what's what.

DtM comes back and says he quoted £18 and the chap says will we do it for £25 if we do the doors and sidepanels inside this time and then £18 every two months but that he doesn't have petty cash anymore and we'll have to invoice head office.

So I go over and ask if we can remain petty cash or take a cheque and the answer is no; they've stopped petty cash and I'll have to send an invoice to Newcastle.

So I say that means I will have to get "my accounts girl" (Mrs. Gold!) to raise an invoice and that will take time; I go on to say most of my "local branch" customers are happy with a receipt on the spot and pay me cash or cheque and I don't do invoices to head offices for jobs less than £50.

He says "So are you going to turn down £25's worth of work then?"

Me: "Well it's £25 this time but next time it's only £18; how soon does head office pay?"

Him "60 days net."

Me: "So if I do the job now, I go home and raise an invoice then you count sixty days from the 28th February and if nothing goes wrong and I don't have to chase it up I get paid on the 1st May?"

Him: "Well those are our terms."

Me: "Well mine are to respectfully decline."

Him: "I'll phone head office and get back to you."

I won't hold my breath ... their head office told the previous guy he was out of order paying so much and that a fiver was more like the right amount!
It's a game of three halves!

bobplum

Re: Resurrected a job then refused it.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 06:41:34 pm »
unless your really geared up for them, i dont understand why anyone wants to get involved in commercial work were, as in this case you have to wait that long.
2 x £12 residentials and lifes good, i can understand the way you were paid and i have two commercials exactly the same, payout from the petty cash, but 60 days, nah sorry i would walk like you (hips swaying, swinging a handbag ;D)

mufcglen

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 06:44:23 pm »
Next time you go past they'll probably have one if the staff with a wet sweeping brush or mop scrubbing the windows!!
Sounds like your better off leaving it pal.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 06:48:40 pm »
I was presented with a similar case £30 job priced very well was told head office only,60 days normally I said to the manager can you push for 3 weeks? At that point if she said no I was ready to walk away, but she said yes so I took a punt and it was fine paid within the month and I even get an email from the accounts department now , don't give up hope I would speak to head office see if you can negotiate if they do , take a punt and weigh it up only 1 clean credit ofc

Message for everyone Don't accept 60 days payment the more of us who refuse the more of them will start to realise

trippyboy

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 06:51:28 pm »
Cant understand ppl ranting and raving about comercials,i much prefer residential,much more loyal plus you get paid quickly.
If you lose 3 houses it will hardly make a dent,if you lose 3 comercials you could be in the brown stuff very quickly. Plus with wfp you can work through rain on houses 95% of the time

deeege

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 06:52:13 pm »
Welcome to the world of commercial window cleaning for national companies.

We have lots of similar work, but much higher invoice value. I also probably wouldn't bother though for a standalone £18 job. I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

PurefectWindowCleaning

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 06:52:57 pm »
Guess it depends if you need the money or work...

2 months is a bit of time to wait to get paid, but if it was a easy job that wasnt out of your way then id still do it.

Frankybadboy

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 06:58:38 pm »
don't worry dean tab will be down todo it for £3 a pop ;D ;D ;D ;D

Paul Coleman

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 07:14:54 pm »
Personally I wouldn't have a problem working that way - provided that they supply an email address so that I can send the invoice electronically. Also better if paid by BACS.  However, the first sign of messing about with payment and it finishes.

C o z y

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 07:15:47 pm »
The shops and small commercial we do all pay within 30 days. If they don't, then Mrs Smith and her neighbours get priority. They're nearly all 15 quid.  ;)
No still don't understand, I must be thick

AuRavelling79

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 11:13:10 pm »
Well the rest of them on the estate (all four of them) pay petty cash or a cheque at £20/£20/£15/£20, so I'm happy to stick to my guns.

In fact one bigger one round the corner I do for £60 every three months pays cash and even gave me £90 cuz we did a couple of internal partitions this time.

The other commercials I do there £40/£140/£70 - I do invoice.

koopmaster

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 08:47:02 am »
ask them if you can invoice via email then just make one up in word and change the number each time. 

I use george so when I do my 1 invoice all I have to do is open my outlook and click in george to print invoice to email - done.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 04:57:39 pm »
ask them if you can invoice via email then just make one up in word and change the number each time.  

I use george so when I do my 1 invoice all I have to do is open my outlook and click in george to print invoice to email - done.

I do invoice some custies by email; I just cannot be "bothered" to invoice for £18 and wait sixty days then have the possibility of chasing and aggro. This company was happy to use petty cash but some bright spark at head office has decided that they won't use petty cash any more. Stuff 'em err ...  Just not interested.

johnny bravo

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 09:59:11 am »
thats like getting them cleaned free,       clean them,   paid in 60 days,   ready to do again.
the manager should have a company cheque book at branch id have thought.
i wouldnt bother.

Pro-Poler

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 10:32:21 am »
Cant understand ppl ranting and raving about comercials,i much prefer residential,much more loyal plus you get paid quickly.
If you lose 3 houses it will hardly make a dent,if you lose 3 comercials you could be in the brown stuff very quickly. Plus with wfp you can work through rain on houses 95% of the time
95% Of my customers wouldn't welcome me with open arms in the rain.

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 12:05:41 pm »
It's only the first payment that you'll wait two months for; once that one has arrived you'll be receive payment every month won't you.

Personally if you normally clean it anyway I'd continue; the price is obviously fine so I don't see the problem.
Come and talk dirty to us!!!