Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Help with Carpet Rippling
« on: March 20, 2006, 12:07:52 pm »
Hi,

Just got a call from a customer regarding a capret i cleaned over 3 weeks ago. They are saying that there are ripples in the carpet. Now I have looked on the forum and it always says about the fact the carpet goes back down once completely dry, which obviously it is after 3 weeks!!!

Any ideas as to what could have caused this and where do I stand legally on this. Going to revisit this afternoon.

Thanks

Darren

simonc

Re: Help with Carpet Rippling
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 12:22:10 pm »
I have had many carpets ripple but none that have never not flattened. If it was me I would get my friendly carpet fitter out to restretch and put it down to experience...Simon

Liahona

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 12:29:02 pm »
A lot of it depends on the construction of the carpet and therefore  why it is still rippled. If it has de-laminted no amount of re-stretching will remedy. If it is just purely just rippled then power stretch it back in........ There is always a reason for it to ripple and for it not too go back too which it usually does.... all you have to do is find out why... then you can either correct it or have to maybe buy a new carpet for the customer. If it has rippled and shrunk then that is a huge or at least a bigger problem, good luck anyway, best, Dave.

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 12:30:51 pm »
Thanks guys it is a wool mix with hessian backed.

des

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 01:13:06 pm »
Darren ive done a few of these .You get there and hit into the carpet cleaning with out looking at the state of the carpet .if its old then it will have stretched and then you go in with this great big sucker and make it worse  .carpet fitter but next time inspect carpet first and then warn the customer and do not worry about walking away from this type of job des
des at mister clean

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 01:23:11 pm »
Hi Des,

I did a full inspection this and all was fine, all grippers in tact etc so there was absolutely no indication that this was going to happen.  The carpet was in very good condition, so again there was no need to worry.

gort

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 01:48:36 pm »
This happened to me once although it was a wilton weave. It would be best to try to borrow or hire a power strecher if you borrow one most carpet shops / fitters carry them although they are very expensive. Dont use yout knee kicker  or you will have no knee's left. it should strech out. worse case is pay a carpet fitter to rectify the prob. Dont start worrying yet.

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 02:22:31 pm »
Just got back from looking at it, I think it will restretch ok, certainly does not feel delaminated.  Just damn upsetting when it happens as it knocks your confidence.

I noticed that there is a seam running length ways, one side is ok the other is where the ripples are.  My personal feeling is that the initial installation was not very good, although when I did the intial survey all seemed fine.  Has anyone got any tips to try and avoid this happening again or is it just one of those things. 

Daz

Dennis

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 02:31:24 pm »
Sod's Law Darren.

In future look out for that type of carpet and warn them it may happen.
It's how well you sort it that counts now.
Then forget about it and move on.  ;)

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 02:36:58 pm »
Hi Dennis,

Yeah I shifted a few appointments around to go and look at it and he seemed well impressed that I did that as he said that meant alot. 

Just not sure why it happened can poor installation really make that much difference.  I have always been cautious of this scenario so whenever I have cleaned carpets I have always been on the more cautious side.  i.e. teperature, over wetting, not using aggresive wand action and being very gentle.

We will have to see what the fitter says when I can get him to go out.

John Kelly

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 03:04:00 pm »
Darren

Get yourself a "good" carpet fitter on board. Very handy for these type of things. They do happen occasionally and a good fitter can rectify in 15 minutes.

One thing I would be wary of. Most carpets stretch with wear which may not be noticable at first glance. However moving heavy furniture around whilst cleaning ie 3 seater sofa can cause the carpet to stretch and ruck up. Always lift sofas, not easy when by yourself, however can be done one side at a time.

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 03:13:06 pm »
Cheers John,

What really got me with this was that I received a signed survey form in the post from him saying how happy he was with everything. 

The other thing that he was not happy with was the fact that he feels his furniture leaves more marks in the carpet now.  ie when he moves dining room chairs etc he says that the marks do not disappear as readily as before.  I have put this down to the cleaning process softening the pile??

darren

John Kelly

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 03:30:51 pm »
In wouldn't worry about it, you get these customers occasionally. Probably nothing to do with you at all.
Enhanced awareness syndrome
They have probably never even noticed their carpet before you cleaned it. Now they are examining every aspect of it because it is now the focus of their attention.

homenclean

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 03:57:04 pm »
This guy probably complains about everything, the decorater, plumber, joiner deal with it in a proffesional manor smile and put it down to experiance.

Be carefull what you say to him he be pushing for you to replace his carpet regardless of what you do.

John

carpetclean

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 04:25:19 pm »
regarding the furniture marks. tell him that you hve put the pile back which is a sign of a good clean. ask him to go to a carpet shop and press down on a new carpet sismilar to his and see what happens
NCCA   IICRC

name peter reed

Dave_Lee

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 05:48:24 pm »
Darren,
I do carpet fitting too. Is the rippling on a narrower section of carpet that is jioned/seamed to the main part of the carpet. If so how wide is this section of carpet, also is the carpet a single colour with no pattern?
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 06:11:07 pm »
hi dave,
the carpet is plain colour. the ripple is in the main part of the carpet not the small seamed section.

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2006, 09:44:52 am »
Just to put it back to the top, Dave can you get back to me on your question re where the rippling is in relation to the seam.  Daz