Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Karl Wildey

dyeing spots on carpet.
« on: March 20, 2006, 06:55:46 pm »
Got a house full of carpets to clean, but have been asked to look at a bleach stain in bedroom. Lime/leafy green pattern carpet so I have been told.
Bleach was from hair bleaching,.

Not done the colour course. How easy is it to re-spot this, can anyone give me any advice?
Do not know carpet pile, so advice for wool, and manmade needed.

Liahona

Re: dyeing spots on carpet.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 07:19:22 pm »
it will only be wool or nylon...... or of course a mix..... if you havent done the course I would not walk away I would run.... or you can re-weave it or re-tuft it.......other than that just clean it and say that you cant do anything about it, spot dyeing and re-tufting isnt that cheep...best, Dave.

John Kelly

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 07:27:20 pm »
A degree of colour repair can be carried out by using heat setting fabric pens.
It is often not perfect but can give an acceptable result. The beauty of it is you can play about with different shades as until heat set with a warm iron they just wipe off.
You need to qualify first with customer and buy a range of pens near the right colour.

stu_thomson

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 07:29:39 pm »
Whilst browsing through the chemspec catologue today,I see they do a colour dye set for carpets etc

Might be worth a look Karl

stu
People say that money is not the key to happiness, but I always figured if you have enough money, you can have a key made!

Karl Wildey

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 07:37:45 pm »
John.
Where do you get the pens from?

John Kelly

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 07:42:23 pm »
Haberdasherys, wool shops, artists shops or online just put a search in for heat set fabric pens.

Don't mess about with dyes without training, its a nightmare!!!

HolmansUKLTD

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 07:57:49 pm »
Depending on the size of the spots and constuction of the carpet, it is possible to retuft the spots. This is something i have done for over 10yrs and i do on the job training if your interested(and if your client is willing to pay!!)

Regards

NIck

0800 977 5251
Surreys No1 Carpet & Upholstery cleaner
Surreys No1 Dart player
IICRC water restoration Technician

John Kelly

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 08:14:16 pm »
Caution. Anyone attempting to use heat set pens. Use either a hairdryer or iron OVER A TOWEL, don't put the iron directly on the carpet.

benny d

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 03:14:01 pm »
Caution. Anyone attempting to use heat set pens. Use either a hairdryer or iron OVER A TOWEL, don't put the iron directly on the carpet.

Now you tell me....  ???  Only joking ;)
BTW I passed the IICRC Exam for dying colour correction, or whatever it was called, but I wouldnt like to do it. I think the box of tricks, solutions and dyes etc cost over £ 300.00 at Alltec so I didnt bother.
I got a nice certificate though. Goes nice with my 25 meters swimming cert... ;)
"If i'm not in action, I'm in traction"
Voted 397th best looking carpet cleaner in West Sussex 2015. Up 10 from last year...