Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ste waddington

2nd time out on my own
« on: January 27, 2014, 06:39:38 pm »
Hi guys today was my second day ot working for myself. Last week it took my 5 hours to do 10 houses and i hated the heights.

Went out todau and did 9 houses in  4 hours and felt alot more confident on the ladders. Think ive found my ladder legs.

Happy days. Just need more cusomers now.jyst thought id share this

Simon Mess

Re: 2nd time out on my own
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 06:41:50 pm »
It will come, just keep at it.

Mind you, you wouldn't catch me up a ladder cleaning windows ;D

tom20001

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 07:44:18 pm »
Hi guys today was my second day ot working for myself. Last week it took my 5 hours to do 10 houses and i hated the heights.

Went out todau and did 9 houses in  4 hours and felt alot more confident on the ladders. Think ive found my ladder legs.

Happy days. Just need more cusomers now.jyst thought id share this

good luck mate :)

be careful tho its not all about speed it will come more important to be safe and take an extra 10 minutes whenever u have too

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 09:33:42 pm »
Thats great - IMHO the best thing you can do is get yourself off the ladders though. Health and safety, there is a better and safer way, and as soon as you can get off the ladders. Plenty of horror stories of window cleaners falling off ladders, its a very avoidable risk. Mr Smudger in the very early days, much like you, started on ladders, he took a fall in the first year, the air ambulance arrived and thankfully he had NO major damage, BUT we never used ladders for cleaning again, we do use for access and on VERY rare occasions if its ABSOULTELY necessary to use a ladder its always footed by another.

Mr Smudger could have been seriously hurt.

Wishing you all the best in your new venture :)

Mrs Smudger
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

ste waddington

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 09:54:52 pm »
Thanks guys. Think those replies have scared me again
Now ???

robertphil

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 10:13:06 pm »
takes 3 months to get ladder legs in my opinion.   dont rush it

Simon Mess

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 10:31:04 pm »
Thanks guys. Think those replies have scared me again
Now ???

Just be VERY VERY careful, it just takes one little slip in concentration!. I don't know much about trad cos i have never done it, but i think you can get some kind of attachment to put on the bottom of your ladder which reduces, or makes it near impossible for it to slip away. Maybe some guys on here who do trad can furnish you with more details?. I know there are guys who are happy enough to go up ladders to clean windows for a few quid, but as i said earlier, i wouldn't. Imo, it really isn't worth the risk, get yourself sorted with a wfp system as soon as you can afford, and if you go diy (very simple to do), it is not that expensive. 

Mitchellmoxo

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 12:23:40 am »
Ladders are safe if used properly in my opinion i cleaned trad for about 6 months and still do a tiny bit now

rosskesava

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 12:29:21 am »
With ladders it always comes down to risk and assessing that risk and making sure that the risk is always assessed in the same way.

Some take a risk so many times that they then don't see it as taking a risk, they see it as safe as the last 100 times they done that, they didn't fall or have an accident so therefore it's safe. A lot drive their cars on that basis.

Ste - it's good that you are getting some confidence with using a ladder but don't let that fool you into complacency. Remember that fear you felt when you first cleaned windows with a ladder, don't forget that and base each using of a ladder on that original fear no matter how confident you feel.

Personally, if I'm not 100% certain about the position, the angle, the wind, the surface, and so on, I won't go up the ladder and that's final. Also, when using ladders, forget about speed and how quick you can do a job, the only point to remember is to do the job safely. Getting quicker comes naturally as you get more used to doing the job.

The advice above about wfp is sensible. Use how you're cleaning windows now as a stepping stone to upgrading to wfp.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

PurefectWindowCleaning

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 04:56:58 am »
Without sounding cliche...

why oh why did I not go WFP sooner.

Looking back on what we used to do with a ladder was absolutly crazy.  :o

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 07:20:22 am »
i changed over to wfp some 8 years ago..... to be honest I would never go back to ladders again far too  risky  :-[

lal

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 09:00:08 am »

I changed over to WFP 18 months ago and would never go back to using ladders full time, i only use a ladder on
a rare occasion where a window is inaccessable on a flat roof with WFP.

Regards
lal

Johnny B

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 09:48:48 am »
With ladders it always comes down to risk and assessing that risk and making sure that the risk is always assessed in the same way.

Some take a risk so many times that they then don't see it as taking a risk, they see it as safe as the last 100 times they done that, they didn't fall or have an accident so therefore it's safe. A lot drive their cars on that basis.

Ste - it's good that you are getting some confidence with using a ladder but don't let that fool you into complacency. Remember that fear you felt when you first cleaned windows with a ladder, don't forget that and base each using of a ladder on that original fear no matter how confident you feel.

Personally, if I'm not 100% certain about the position, the angle, the wind, the surface, and so on, I won't go up the ladder and that's final. Also, when using ladders, forget about speed and how quick you can do a job, the only point to remember is to do the job safely. Getting quicker comes naturally as you get more used to doing the job.

The advice above about wfp is sensible. Use how you're cleaning windows now as a stepping stone to upgrading to wfp.

Excellent advice. I am trad with 17 years under my belt, and still treat each ladder climb with the same care, nay, more care now as I have had a few minor accidents over the years, each and every one of which were all down to user error.

Be very, very careful, and you will be ok with ladders. If you decide to go wfp, that will eliminate the risk that use of ladders carries.

Best wishes,
John.

Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

ste waddington

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 12:21:02 pm »
Rbrilliant thanks guys. I will definatly be taking my time.  Because i cant drive woulf wfp be feasable? Ive seen the trollys but surely they would only last a couple of hiuses?

ste waddington

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 12:25:39 pm »
Edit so i get notifications