Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

bart

fringes and hydrogen peroxide
« on: March 16, 2006, 09:15:58 pm »
I've got a wool rug (Nepal) here to clean. It has original pure white cotton fringes. Some fringes are very dirty i cannot clean them with HWE. Al the information i know is coming from this forum which is great!
I've read on another post that someone mixed 4 parts cleaning solution and 1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide. I've got 30 litre 35% hydrogen peroxide here so i mixed 46 parts neutral cleaning solution with 1 part hydrogen peroxid. This had no effect, even on a black shirt for testing it had no effect. I did different tests with different proportions but no effect. And i'am sure it is Hydrogen peroxide because i bought this week. The cleaning solution i used is an extraction cleaner PH7 of taski (tapi extract). Is there something i have not foreseen? Here are a lot of chemical experts on this forum so feel free to help me please. I also read on this link that a use of sodium hydroxide solution mixed with the hydrogen peroxide helps to bleach. this was the link:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8455167&dopt=Abstract

Thanks a lot!

Graeme@Access

Re: fringes and hydrogen peroxide
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 03:23:04 pm »
Hi,

H2O2 goes off pretty rapidly if not kept in the fridge.  I take it that from the size of the container is hasnt been kept in the fridge and therefore its proably a bottle of purest water.

If you have any starch idodie paper then i guess you could test it, but in my (chemistry) experience it best to buy a new and smaller bottle. I spent a long time tyring to get an osmium catalysed epoxidation process to work and found out after a week how quickly hydrogen peroxide decomposes.

Dont seal the bottle when storing it, or it will explode.

Hope this helps

Graeme
Access Cleaning Solutions.
PS we have good results with fringes using fibre shampoos as an alternative if HWE isnt producing the goods.

Liahona

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 06:58:08 pm »
Bart, I use "Hydrogen Peroxide Solution (6%) BP" from just about any chemist and use it neat. I have always had good results using it. If it is a Nepalese or a Tibetian good luck as when they are soaking they are extremely heavy and as they carry so much moisture they almost always turn the fringes yellow. Sometimes while they hang you can almost see them changing to the yellow colour, anyway..... you mentioned in your post that it is pure white cotton...... You may be correct in saying so but i have cleaned many of these and to my knowledge they are never white and more of an off white almost yellowy coulour..... So be careful you dont turn white what shouldnt be white if that makes sense. Good luck with it anyway, best, Dave.

bart

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 02:45:41 pm »
Thanks Guys!

Yesterday i bought also 3% hydrogen peroxide. I did also a test on the 35%. (i tested it by spoiling over my hand....and yes it burned, so it works i think). I tested it by spoiling it over a black cotton shirt. When using it it there is coming a white foam on the surface. This was also with the 3% solution. But i don't know where to mix it with and in what proportion. Is every neutral household cleaner suitable for it? It it a good plan to mix some vinegar under it?

Liahona

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 02:53:36 pm »
Bart, without saying too much, get yourself on a cleaning course and be carefull on the rug!!!!! Oh and by the way, dont test chemicals on yourself, its not you that you are cleaning and for obvious reasons too, best, Dave.

Mike Roper

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 09:26:15 pm »
If the fringes should be white , I have had good sucess with Peroxide in small bottles from the chemist , however dont get it on the wool rug or it will bleach it to another colour. Try Haitian cotton cleaner or microsplitter first.
Mike

Steve Chapman

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 09:22:26 am »
If i remember rightly the peroxide is accelerated by adding ammonia, but be sure to test it safely first ;)
steve