Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Cleaner Windows

Bit of advice on cleaning a foot stool please
« on: January 09, 2014, 08:32:29 pm »
My pals old girl has quite a large foot stool (ottoman). It's laura ashley and covered with a soft covering made of a mix between woven velvet,  cotton and polyester.  Now his little girl managed to spoil a cup of ribena over on it and got some felt tip pen marks on the top of the stool which mum want happy about and asked me to go clean it which I did.  I took my smaller machine with upholstery attachment and because of the cotton content I decided to use the natural fibre stuff by prochem and diluted using the smallest amount advised on the directions.  Firstly I used a pre spray of the same Chem just to be careful then went over the top with the machine focusing on the stains. 

Well it's dry now and most of the stains are out but there are still a couple of felt tip pen marks visible and I did say if stains remained I'd find out the best course of action and come back to try and fix it for free.

What do you think the best way of going about treating these remaining stains would be? Should I have used higher ph stuff as pre spray or is that bad idea considering what the stool covering is made from :s

I have done a course on cleaning but I'm not sure about this one. ..
when I'm cleaning windows

garybristow

Re: Bit of advice on cleaning a foot stool please
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 04:38:45 pm »
you needed to deal with the ink first,you have probably set the stain
you need to apply some ink chemicals perhaps with a cotton bud,just to see if there is any movement
massive chance the ink is there forever
imo
gary

Cleaner Windows

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 05:20:00 pm »
Oh :(   live and learn I suppose.  Good job it's a job for a friend, I'll explain where I went wrong, apologise and do what I can to try and treat it.  Think she's happy with it anyway but I'd like to get it perfect for her if possible. 

Thanks Gary ;)

rich123

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 09:53:30 am »
Well if its an old stool and they don't mind can't you try
Hydrogen Peroxide/Ammonia mix?
Seems to get most things out of most things.

Rich

Cleaner Windows

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 08:23:34 pm »
Hi rich,  it's brand new mate lol it cost her £500 reduced price in sale.  Apparently she's happy enough with the way it is after my clean but also said it's up to me if i want to try and get the remaining marks out and I'd prefer to give it a go just so I know I did my best.  I need to get myself a pack of spotting chemicals and do some tests?

Robin Ray

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 08:40:45 pm »
What have you tried on the ink?

Water should not fix an ink stain, and a solvent should not affect a cotton poly mix. I would give something like citrus gel or orange gel ago first. Try in a inconspicuous area first of course. If you haven't got anything like that its worth having it, its good for all sorts of problems.

Rob

Cleaner Windows

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 08:46:43 pm »
What have you tried on the ink?

Water should not fix an ink stain, and a solvent should not affect a cotton poly mix. I would give something like citrus gel or orange gel ago first. Try in a inconspicuous area first of course. If you haven't got anything like that its worth having it, its good for all sorts of problems.

Rob
the only pre treatment I tried was to pre spray with the fabric chem for natural fibres and then rinsed with the same Chem in the machine just because I wasn't sure about cleaning woven velvet and cotton. Not sure if the prochem kit comes with the citrus gel or Orange gel?  I'll have a look when I go to local suppliers add the kit is only about £20. Cheers for the advice

Simon Moat

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 11:05:19 pm »
Pure Acetone, extract. Works for me.