Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

rosskesava

Sea salt on windows
« on: January 03, 2014, 09:01:21 pm »
Most of my work is along the coast near Brighton and this last month has sometimes been a nightmare of constantly cleaning salt off windows.

It's not so bad wfp except it takes longer as you need scrub more especially around the top of the frame then plenty of extra rinsing but for the shops, etc, I do trad, I cannot in 12 years remember anything like it.

I did 4 shops this morning on the coast road where you could scrap the salt off with your finger nails and it was so thick you actually couldn't see through the windows. 2 hours later, and they looked like they hadn't been done. Even the shops I do about inland have still had salt on the windows although not as bad.

For anyone who hasn't cleaned salt off windows, it's a bitch. It smears very easily. Touch a cloth onto a window that's got salt on the cloth from the last bit of glass and it smears. You try and wipe the smear off and it makes it worse.

Some houses I've done wfp, the first brush along the top of the frame and the water running off down the frame is brown and a bit like watery sludge.

Has anyone else who works along the coast found this last month has been one long round of salty windows but much, much, much worse than usual?
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

robertphil

Re: Sea salt on windows
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 09:17:38 pm »
im in felixstowe ,east coast, yes its been worse than usual . i  go inland for most of my work for this  very reason /with only 1 day each week in felixstowe

Llaaww

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 12:06:28 am »
Yep I am in cornwall. I work up and down the north coast, one of my jobs is actually called Seaspray, so I can understand how you feel. On the upside, every time it blows the phone starts ringing.

this pic was taken from the garden of one of my jobs. I sold a pole to the bloke who owns the bar, as it would cost him a fortune to have a window cleaner.

Same bar tonight

P.S Have just been down to have a look, all the windows were smashed out in the night and the bar is full of seaweed... :(
if it is dirty it is fair game

Geoff

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 12:47:54 pm »
Any mermaids looking for a shag?

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 01:21:12 pm »
Bit of a daft place to have a bar. Also, how moronic do they look just staring at waves  ::)roll

robertphil

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 01:27:10 pm »
the cruel sea

Richard Shepherd

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 05:02:31 pm »
Don't no if any of you lads have tried. But warm water is mega on salt stained windows.

Friend of mine cleans windows in Peel on isle of man, he swears by warm water after stormy weather.

James Bulton

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 08:52:08 pm »
Salt will be more solvable in hot water.

PoleKing

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 09:23:25 pm »
Bit of a daft place to have a bar. Also, how moronic do they look just staring at waves  ::)roll

It's an awesome place to have a bar IMO.
When it's sunny, calm & clear.
Have to take the rough with the smooth in the uk though.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Llaaww

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 11:50:21 am »

It's an awesome place to have a bar IMO.
When it's sunny, calm & clear.
Have to take the rough with the smooth in the uk though.

On a sunny day when the tide is out it is one of cornwalls top beaches.
if it is dirty it is fair game