Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ali_D

Fitting it in between 9 and 3
« on: March 09, 2006, 08:05:48 pm »
Hi

I'm going to be moving from Swansea to Cheltenham soon and will need to look for another job.  I'm thinking about being a self employed domestic cleaner, but would need to fit it in between the school runs until the kids are older.  Do any of you have experience of this?  Would I get much work this way?  My partner's an oven cleaner so he can hopefully recommend me to his customers if I do take the plunge.  The only thing worrying me is am I too limited with time?  We're not moving for at least two months so just getting clued up at the moment.

Thanks
Ali

Re: Fitting it in between 9 and 3
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 08:11:55 pm »
As long as working customers trust you to work while they are out, you should have no problem.

After all, nobody wants the noise of the vacuum while they are in the house.

Our cleaner always used to come at 7 in the morning, and if I didn't put the radio on loud she would forget I was in and "surprise" me!

After a few years, she was more like a member of the family and used to bring me tea and toast in bed..... but that's a different story!

CMS

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 08:32:30 pm »
I would think that those hours would suit fine.

Who wants a cleaner around when they're trying to get ready for work/get kids off to school etc.?

lisa123

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 10:08:15 pm »
we only work 9-3 unless its a big clean or an out of hours office clean.
so it can definatly be done. you will have no problem.
good luck!

lynngc

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 10:31:24 pm »
Ali,
is your other half called neil.

lynn ;D
lynn @ gower cleaning services, swansea.

Ali_D

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 10:34:39 pm »
I'm also wondering, b eing a one (wo)man band, how to go about taking time off if you have regular weekly cleans.  Do you think this would cause a prob?

Thanks for the reassurance so far by the way.

Ali

Ali_D

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 10:35:34 pm »
Yes.  Hi Lynn.

lynngc

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 10:37:59 pm »
ali,
get neil to give u my number, pop up to my house, well have a chat.

tell him he missed a bit. LOL.

no, not really, well done neil for the good job on the cookers, client was most impressed, so was i.

lynn ;D ;D

Ali_D

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 09:01:42 am »
That would be great Lynn, thanks.

We've got the plumbers in at the moment (what a nightmare!),  but I will definitely ring you soon.

Ali

lynngc

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 10:50:43 am »
okay ali,
 neil did say  you were busy with the house.

speak to you soon

lynn ;D

lisa123

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 03:10:12 pm »
if you want time off, you are going to have to cover your hours, and cleans, people will have paid you well, and its an inconvenience if you keep changing their cleaning.
You may have to hire a casual helper, like a family member or a friend, or employ someone casually.
Thats the best way. Never mess your customers about, there are plenty of other cleaners they can get instead of you.

domestic bliss

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 04:48:49 pm »
I work on my own house cleaning 9-3 as i have kids too.  When i take holidays they are unpaid but thats being self employed.
I have no problem getting work infact most of the time i struggle to fit it all in so i have to be careful not to take to much on.
Most of my customers work and trust me with a key and to do the job and lock up after myself.  The odd occasion kids are sick or i am customers are fine as long as i let them know, however all of that is stated in the contract wich they sign and fully understand occasionally that i can't make it.
Go for it!!

Ali_D

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 05:01:13 pm »
Hi Domestic Bliss

What kind of contract do you have?  Do you find that a contract puts off some people or do you have a trial period?

Ali

Jan K

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 06:15:42 pm »
when i started up 2 yrs ago i worked 9 - 3 no problems, i don't clean myself any more but the girls who work for me work 9 - 3, and sometimes till 5 if required :)
you won't have any problems, most people want you in after they go tow rok and out before they home :)
anyone with facebook can add me at this link ...  jan 'minkeedj' kindon  .... if you can be bothered lol

Ali_D

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2006, 10:43:20 am »
Jan

How long did it actually take you to get to the stage where you don't clean anymore?  Was it hard getting the business at the start and what kind of advertising/marketing did you do? (sorry to bombard you with ?s)

I'd love to be hand-offs within two years because I also do the admin for my partner's oven cleaning business.

Ali