Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Positivity

Wiring Flojet pump to controller
« on: July 11, 2013, 08:10:50 am »
Hi
Anyone put me right on this?
Got this

To connect to this

My understanding is - If you want to use the pump with a controller you have to bypass the pressure switch on the pump which I presume is this

So if I connect the two spade connectors on the orange wires shown that should disconnect / bypass the pressure switch?
Ta.
P+

SherwoodCleaningSe

Re: Wiring Flojet pump to controller
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 08:29:43 am »
I've never seen that flow controller before so I don't know how it is designed to work.  Some flow controllers use the pressure switch for dead end detection that one may not as on the instructions it says flashing green means dead end, however it could be that the controller picks up the break in circuit from the pressure switch.

I would keep the pressure switch in the loop to be honest, no problems will result, where as if it needs a pressure switch to work you could damage the pump.

I think pressure switches work far better for dead end detection than controllers any way. I've tried it different ways and now always use the pressure switch for dead end, although I still use the controller for flow.

Simon.

Spruce

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 08:32:49 am »
On the brodex system you by-pass the pressure switch on the pump. It is a Williamson Pump's Varistream unit.

If the Brodex tank is a one man system, then there is every possibility that the circuit board for the second pump controller isn't there. It would need to purchased as a spare part if it isn't, or wire in a new controller and secure it the the side of your van etc to drive the second pump.

If you do buy a circuit board from Brodex, then you will also need the connector block and wiring. I think its quite expensive.

Simon's advise is good to keep the pressure switch in the circuit loop, although I know of one case where doing this caused 'havoc' with the Varistream. This could have been a faulty connection or a faulty micro switch. Removing the P/S from the loop solved the problem.

Spring controllers recommend you leave the P/S in the loop, Williamson pumps recommend you don't.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Positivity

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 12:33:12 pm »
Hi Thanks
The Brodex pump has no pressure switch fitted. There are only 2 wires coming from the pump so I reckon the controller must "know" somehow when the pressure limit is reached - probably by detecting no current is being drawn when full pressure is reached?

Spruce there are 2 controllers on there I am going to try a Molex connector off a computer power supply it looks like it may fit!!!!!
Ta.
P.

Spruce

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 05:45:48 pm »
Brodex used to use Shurflo pumps which they retailed at twice the price of what you could buy them same pump for at other WFP suppliers. Looks like they have changed suppliers.

If there is a circuit board behind the 'face' then I expect you will find Maplin will be able to help you with a connector.

When you set the electronic pressure switch on a flow controller, you are telling the controller at what amp draw the motor must be switched off at. The higher the pressure the pump has to run at, the higher the current (amps) the motor draws. For example, our Shurflo draws 2 amps running at full speed with a bit of 1/2" hose attached to it. If you start to throttle the water flow by closing a tap, the motor uses up to 6 amps to do the same thing.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)