Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

www.mrgutters.co.uk

sales pitch
« on: February 28, 2006, 12:26:14 am »
hi all

i seem to be rubbish at canvasing , i have been to alot of new builds and not picked one house..around 30-40 houses all around the £30-40 mark for 6 week cleans but then someone i know went to two of these sites charged £55 and ot 4 of them ?????????

how does this work

shawn ???

whats your sales pitch???
If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

Paul Coleman

Re: sales pitch
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 06:56:06 am »
hi all

i seem to be rubbish at canvasing , i have been to alot of new builds and not picked one house..around 30-40 houses all around the £30-40 mark for 6 week cleans but then someone i know went to two of these sites charged £55 and ot 4 of them ?????????

how does this work

shawn ???

whats your sales pitch???

You may do all the things below.  If so, maybe you've just been unlucky.  If not maybe think about them.

Present yourself well in manner of dress (no need to overdo it but clean, tidy, presentable should do.
Be confident without arrogance.  Remember that you are offering a service that may be of value to them rather than begging them for work.
Maintain good eye contact (without over staring).  You want to clean their windows - not admire their shoes.
If they seem interested but raise potentially problem issues, don't minimise the problems.  Instead, work with them on how to resolve them.
Remember you are the same side as them and the object of the excercise is for you to obtain the work and for the customer to feel that they've been treated fairly.
Use good English and cut out the slang ("luv", "mate" etc).  You don't need to sound posh but don't use words that others may interpret as ignorance.
Even if you still get a flat refusal, leave them with a good impression (and also some contact detailswithout being pushy).  Remember you are selling yourself as well as your service.  Someone who is not interested today may be interested next month or even in a year or two.  Leave a good impression and they may just contact you.

I still occasionally get enquiries from work I originally sought up to two years ago.

geoffreyspecht

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 05:34:12 pm »
how big r these houses then

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 11:20:46 pm »
5/6 bedroom houses double garage etc also georgans cost around 1.2 million to buy , in the south east about 1 hours work flat out .

shawn
If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

DASERVICES

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 07:14:57 pm »

Shawn,

You should have changed your accent to cockney then you would have got them!
  ;D ;D

Trevor Knight

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 08:40:30 pm »
Hi good morning/afternoon/evening,

Sorry to bother you, we are expanding our window cleaning services into your area and wondered if you needed a window cleaner?

Yes, talk about what you offer and what they require, fix a price and set the start date.

No, Ok, well if I can leave you our details and should you change your mind or your window cleaner ever lets you down please feel free to contact us. many thanks, Bye

We have never had any rude door in the face shutting incidents and as a rule pick up at least 5 customers each time were out.

ONE RULE - NEVER Undercut another window cleaner or make out your better, let the customer be the decider of that one, there are plenty of houses out there, don't go stealing or you may find your in hot water down the road. Offer your service, be polite and keep knocking, the results will follow.

Good luck

Regards,

Trevor
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

craig jwc

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 10:52:21 pm »
I always try a get across at the beginning that i clean the frames everytime and don't charge for it.
I know alot of people charge extra for cleaning the frames but to be honest it is in the price i give anyway but people like to think they are getting something for nothing.
As far as treading on peoples toes you will get it what ever you do.
I have been moaned at a few times for working a few doors down from another w/c's customer but on these occasions my number had been passed on by recomendation. They were even their customers.
I have also been moaned at for taking work from someone. Again the customer had phoned me as they weren't happy with the service they were getting.
I charged her twice the amount she was already paying and she changed over to me.
I agree with not undercutting but sometimes it happens when you haven't intensionally ment too.
End of the day if the customer is happy with the service they are getting they will tell you "No Thank You" and you just move on to the next.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 08:08:13 am »
I know what your saying craig, my point about undercutting is when a customer tells you what they pay and you deliberately offer a cheaper price to get the business. I had a guy mail drop around an area I had quite a lot of houses in offering window cleaning at £8 for houses that were happy paying £12 - £15. Luckily I managed to salvage all my work as i asked them to check his insurance details and ask how long he has been cleaning for, if he could provide references from customers he has REGULARLY turned up to for over 5 years, its the old saying of you pay for what you get!

I once lost a big houses that I was charging £95 a clean to a muppet who charged them £40, he fell off his ladder, smashed the conservartory roof and was never seen again at thier premises. Left them with a bill for £3,200 to repair it. When they told me I laughed my head off and told them at least they saved £55 to put towards the roof repair ;o)
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

craig jwc

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 09:06:13 am »
If i call on someone who tells me they already have a w/c i just ask if i can leave my details if they ever are unhappy with their present service.
If they have a w/c but show an interest i always tell them that i don't want to know what they are paying as i work on my own prices and don't want to be seen stealing work of others by delibrately undercutting.
I'll give them a price then tell them to think about it and phone me in a few days.
I always carry my Insurance with me so i can show them.