Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

andyM

Re: Weird uPVC problem
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2013, 08:38:15 am »
Hi Guys, im back on this one and yes Avo could be right (Acid) i talked to a guy who had been using a wfp system for years but got out of window cleaning and is now back doing carpentry work, he reckons using pure water used to affect his skin and cause damage to customers window frames,soffit and fascia,UPVC doors, and paintwork, and eventually just became afraid of using his system, he is gone from window cleaning over 4 years now so maybe the technology has changed today, at the time he went to a local company who do water testing and they told him that when water is purified it can turn it into an acidic cleaning solution which would be capable of causing damage to surfaces, he did say that after six months his skin problems cleared up, again guys i have no knowledge or experience of working with wfp systems so if there was problems in the past im sure with todays technology they would have them ironed out, at that time he said the water testing company tested the water from his system and it was reading 5 on the ph scale which would of made it very acidic, he also said that it was probably his own fault because he never got to grips with using and trying out different types of resins so decided that he had enough, so as i say i dont know how these systems work but maybe if the water is to pure it might also be more acidic, best to check this out with experts on the subject.

The plot thickens...........................
The thing is on paper pure water is supposed to be 7 ph, which would make it neutral and neither acidic or alkali.
However I do understand that perhaps it doesn't always come out at 7 ph.
I've never tested mine to be honest so couldn't tell you if it is 7 ph or above or below.
Besides that I still believe there is a possibility that there are quality problems with the door manufacturing process unless a harsh cleaning chemical has been used previously on the door.
Because if the pure water we use was that acidic it would be stripping paint off of wooden window frames, and in my experience that just does not happen.
One of the Plebs

Dave Willis

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2013, 06:09:56 pm »
Did you know deionized water is one of the main ingredients in shampoo?

Jesus, no wonder my hair is falling out  :o

JackieW

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2013, 07:18:05 pm »
One of my customers has one of these upvc front doors in a coloured wood grain  effect and he asked me not to clean it as he had been advised by the upvc installer not to. I don't know how rain effects it but I didn't push it too far as it's just one less door to clean.

formb

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2013, 08:08:29 pm »
It's 100% definitely not the water. I have lots of customers, many of them have the exact same door. I had done this one about 100 times over the years without issue.

rosskesava

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2013, 08:48:24 pm »
It's 100% definitely not the water. I have lots of customers, many of them have the exact same door. I had done this one about 100 times over the years without issue.

Some above posted something about pure water being acidic. It's not - well mine isn't. I did a job today at a large house that has it's own swimming pool and the owner let me have some litmus paper and a chart. My water has a ph of 7 which is neutral.

(Rain water though is slightly acidic. It has a ph in this country of 5.0 - 5.8 but it can be lower during thunderstorms.)

I would have thought that ever residue caused that problem on the door must have washed down from the bricks or windows above. What though, I havn't a clue.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

JamesAJF

« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2013, 11:00:07 pm »
well the shape of the marks appears to look like wear water has been hanging around and also off what i can see there look like there are run marks wear its dripped dawn the door so it deffo looks like the water has caused it but why i don't no maybe the water has frozen on the door if it was a cold day im gonna have a look on the net and see if i can find out i let u no what i find.
bish bash bosh

JamesAJF

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2013, 12:07:24 am »
just looked up on net and it seems that wd40 could be the course so maybe customer has used it on hinges or letter box and then u have gone  and spread it more with your brush not knowing and then the drip marks have dried with wd40 in the drips removing the couler giving it a faded effect it seems like a good answer as wd40 does get rid of oils.
bish bash bosh

rosskesava

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2013, 01:48:52 am »
just looked up on net and it seems that wd40 could be the course so maybe customer has used it on hinges or letter box and then u have gone  and spread it more with your brush not knowing and then the drip marks have dried with wd40 in the drips removing the couler giving it a faded effect it seems like a good answer as wd40 does get rid of oils.

True, WD40 is a solvent and not an oil.

But after being diluted by the water?

I cannot for one minute think that WD40 would do that to UPVC after being diluted by water.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

robertphil

« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2013, 05:50:05 am »
customer is unlikely to admit they washed it with summat  out of embarrasment as much as anything.

also possible somebody threw acid at it ,in anger

formb

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2013, 06:11:02 am »
The manufacturer recommended I use wd40 to remove the marks.

robertphil

« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2013, 07:11:44 am »
wd 40 was used as rocket fuel years ago-i remember it used to be written on the spraycans.

8weekly

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2013, 08:39:38 am »
I seriously doubt you caused it. If it was you it would have happened before now. A new door is £400+.

bobplum

« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2013, 08:50:21 am »
this looks like a composite door.
we live in a house 7 years old and some of the doors on the estate have gone this way.
some have repainted them and this seems to have stopped it going worse,its as if the paint seals the door.
most of the problem doors seem to get a lot of light and this caused them to fade and streak.
it doesnt seem to happen to white composite doors,some of my customers have them and its not a problem it tends to be more the oak/brown style doors

i cant see it being the water as been discussed it  is 7ph

its going to be a break down in the outer layer of the door

bob

formb

« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2013, 06:36:52 am »
After a month of so of phone calls back and forth, the company who fitted the door have admitted to a 'faulty batch' of doors.

Apparently this is not a isolated case. The door came with a 10 year manufacturers warranty which they intend to honour.

andyM

« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2013, 06:43:25 am »
Hi Guys, im back on this one and yes Avo could be right (Acid) i talked to a guy who had been using a wfp system for years but got out of window cleaning and is now back doing carpentry work, he reckons using pure water used to affect his skin and cause damage to customers window frames,soffit and fascia,UPVC doors, and paintwork, and eventually just became afraid of using his system, he is gone from window cleaning over 4 years now so maybe the technology has changed today, at the time he went to a local company who do water testing and they told him that when water is purified it can turn it into an acidic cleaning solution which would be capable of causing damage to surfaces, he did say that after six months his skin problems cleared up, again guys i have no knowledge or experience of working with wfp systems so if there was problems in the past im sure with todays technology they would have them ironed out, at that time he said the water testing company tested the water from his system and it was reading 5 on the ph scale which would of made it very acidic, he also said that it was probably his own fault because he never got to grips with using and trying out different types of resins so decided that he had enough, so as i say i dont know how these systems work but maybe if the water is to pure it might also be more acidic, best to check this out with experts on the subject.

The plot thickens...........................
The thing is on paper pure water is supposed to be 7 ph, which would make it neutral and neither acidic or alkali.
However I do understand that perhaps it doesn't always come out at 7 ph.
I've never tested mine to be honest so couldn't tell you if it is 7 ph or above or below.
Besides that I still believe there is a possibility that there are quality problems with the door manufacturing process unless a harsh cleaning chemical has been used previously on the door.
Because if the pure water we use was that acidic it would be stripping paint off of wooden window frames, and in my experience that just does not happen.

I knew that.  ;) ;D
One of the Plebs