Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Tim Downer

Paid for training?
« on: February 23, 2006, 02:18:28 pm »
Hi,

When you have a new employee start, whether its for office cleaning or other type of cleaning, you have to train them.
This would include health and safety, COSHH, specifics to the site they are cleaning, how to use and look after equipment etc etc....

My question is do you guys pay the new recruit for their time in training or not!! Especially if you are giving them the training before they start the job.

I will say that in the past i have, but it has been on the building site working with current cleaners. But now i am going into the office cleaning side of the business.....and have put a tender in for an office and won it!! I was wondering about the cost of the training, that was all....

Your thoughts / opinions???

Thanks

Tim

Tim Downer
Manager

"The difference between Ordinary and Extraordinary.....is that little Extra"

CMS

Re: Paid for training?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 02:37:19 pm »
I pay the costy of training - every time.

If you aren't willing to pay for it you will 'devalue' that training in the eyes of the employee. To them it will become unimportant - a sort of 'afterthought'.

A cleaner should see their professional education as an ongoing process and of course they should be paid for it.

If you take a look at the 'cost calculator' on our website you will see that you can build something in for training.

Tim Downer

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 04:03:12 pm »
Thanks Karl.....similar to what i was thinking anyway.....especially when i based the tender on your cost calculator to see the difference between my working out and the cost calculators working out.

As it happens, yours came out more expensive by about £20 a week - but i had forgotten on my working out to put in training....and uniforms  :-[

Suffice to say that the tender i won was done based on the price your cost calculator came out with - and glad for the extra couple of quid!!  ::)  ::)

So thanks for that.

Tim
Tim Downer
Manager

lynngc

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 04:15:50 pm »
tim,
just want to butt  in and say well done on the tender.

keep up the good work.

lynn ;D
lynn @ gower cleaning services, swansea.

CMS

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 05:10:42 pm »
Yes, well done Tim.

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 05:47:24 pm »
Congratulations Tim,

Yes we do pay our employees for the training, I am not sure if it would be legal not to. 

My partner trains new recruits and you know, today Maria got a “thank you” card from a new customer whose house was cleaned by a very new worker… Nice  :)

Kind regards,
Arthur

Tim Downer

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 06:29:29 pm »
Thank you for the "well done's...."
But lets not forget it is with looking at, and taking note of suggestions and ideas that work for you guys.....that the rest of us can put into practice.
And you know what??  They do work!!

So a big thanks and well done to all of you too for helping on this forum.

Kind regards

Tim
Tim Downer
Manager

mxg

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 06:33:08 pm »
Tim

For what its worth

I had a meeting yesterday with a Business Link Adviser about a new scheme that has been piloted in our region and is going to be rolled out nationally from April.

As with all of these schemes there are numerous strings attached courtesy of Mr. Brown

- all recipients must be over 19 years of age
- must NOT have 5 GCSEs at Grade C above or equivalent ie a level 2 NVQ

However on the plus side, the allowances paid to training providers are more generous for cleaning qualifications and there is also a wages compensation scheme which pays money back to you at potentially up to 130% of the employees rate

Training must be provided by an approved training provider so probably rules out any inhouse or site with nellie type training

Mick

*Chris Browne

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 07:03:06 pm »
Karl, I've used your cost calculator on the last 10 or so quotes and i have to say it as become invaluable, I've tweaked it a bit(the fun bit), but for one thing it has made "working out"just that bit easier and more professional looking

cheers mate

chris ;)

CMS

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 07:03:29 pm »
A few years ago we were contacted by various 'Training' companies who said that they would come and train our staff on site and it wouldn't cost us a penny. We were to provide names, locations etc.

Obviously, we wouldn't hand over info until we'd checked them out.

It was indeed a Government funded thing and it all checked out legit!

Problem was, by the time they got themselves in gear there had been a big turnover of staff and new faces/names. That meant that they had to apply for funding again.

The theory was good. The practice was that it went on for 10 months and we didn't get one person trained under the scheme. Not one!

CMS

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 07:07:57 pm »
Karl, I've used your cost calculator on the last 10 or so quotes and i have to say it as become invaluable, I've tweaked it a bit(the fun bit), but for one thing it has made "working out"just that bit easier and more professional looking

cheers mate

chris ;)

Nice to know someone's happy!

Cheers Chris.