Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Liahona

Polished cotton
« on: March 02, 2006, 06:57:39 pm »
I went to look at some upholstery that someone else had cleaned a few days ago. The result was fine but it was polished cotton, therefore the polish has gone. I know how to fix the problem but dont know where to get the right chemical from here in England. I can get some sent over but must be quicker to get some here. For those who re-polish cotton please let me know where I can get some, cheers, best, Dave.

Alan Brooker. Aqualink Carpet Care

Re: Polished cotton
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 07:01:40 pm »
Reglaze cotton? Didn't think you could. Tell me more.

Regards
Alan
Experience does not qualify as Knowledge and Understanding.
Understand how and why and you'll produce great results.

IICRC, Woolsafe, Fenice & LTT trained.
Member of Eco Carpet Care, NCCA & Woolsafe.

Liahona

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 07:15:32 pm »
Its not difficult to do just a pain in the sss. I use O.M.S. with wrinkle remover from Kleenrite......Spray it on and then polish it in and or off, the same way you would with a buffer on a car. Takes for ever but it does work, of course it depends on if the customer wants it done or happy to leave it as it is. My problem is only one piece of three was cleaned.......she wants it re-polished as opposed to having the others cleaned. She paid just over 300 to have it cleaned so wants it right and fair comment. Hope this helps, best Dave.

Liahona

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 10:28:26 am »
I take it no one re-polishes or re-glazes cotton? If so again please let me know where I can get what I need. Best, Dave.

fibresafe

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 10:49:23 am »
I was once told on an IICRC course that you can use spray starch to do this. i.e. spray lightly, buff, repeat. I've never tried it, has anyone else?

Liahona

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 11:07:32 am »
you did hear right as you can do it that way..... however starch leaves it feeling slightly different than before the application but thankyou for the help. Best, Dave.

Eddie Conroy

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 11:29:32 pm »
My understanding of glazed/polished cotton is that it is normally produced by a process of 'friction calendering' using heat and high pressure rollers and if this is the case then it may not be reproduced by applying starches .
May I suggest that you contact GP & J Baker or Warner fabrics for technical info as to my memory 10 - 15 years ago they were the leading suppliers of glazed cotton such as chintz
regards
Eddie

Eddie Conroy

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 11:31:15 pm »
ps
Galazed /polished cotton is not normally recommended for a wet clean
regards
eddie

John_Flynn

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 05:19:44 am »
I would tell the customer to recall the person back who cleaned it and he must correct it at HIS expence (insurance claim) comes to mind, the reason for doing this is, if you do not get the job right it then becomes your problem!!
I get better looking each day!!

Liahona

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 09:35:41 am »
John the tech and company dont know how to correct the problem so that is why I am doing it. You may or may not know but I trouble shoot for a lot of different companies at their expense always....I am always on a disclaimer but then I am working on articles that if I cant correct are for the dump anyway so I have nothing to lose, but thanks for the comment..... and for what its worth thecustomer didnt want the same company to come back.... Eddie, glazed or polished cotton should under normal circumstances be always wet cleaned, after all in most cases it is still the best way to clean a fabric, certainly cotton. You just have to re-polish it when you are done. Best, Dave.

Eddie Conroy

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2006, 12:15:11 pm »
Dave,
I was specifically talking about Chintz, If it falls under this defination then the following is the care label for it
CARE LABEL CHINTZ OR MOIRE - 5U
REGULAR CARE: Protect from direct sunlight. Vacuum regularly using low suction. Rotate reversible cushions regularly. CLEANING: Do not remove cushion cavers for separate cleaning or washing, even though they may have zippers. Do not clean with hot water extraction machine. Do not sponge with water. May be cleaned with dry powder cleaner. Sprinkle powder over fabric. Spread powder to ensure uniform coverage. Allow powder to stand for recommended period. Vacuum powder from fabric with gentle suction. OR On-site dry cleaning recommended (P). SPOT CLEANING: Treat spills and stains as soon as possible. Gently scrape any soil or mop any liquid from the surface of the fabric. Spot clean with dry cleaning solvent or dry powder cleaner. Do not sponge with water or detergent solution.
Presumably this is to safeguard aginst people who can not reglaze it
Regards
Eddie

Liahona

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2006, 01:19:18 pm »
Eddie, excellent comment....the only thing for me that springs to mind is, as cleaners do we pay attention to the label anyway? As for chintz and problem fabrics...thats why I go after them to clean, you get 2 or 3 times the amount for the same work.... save an hour or two to polish...........Anyway, my reason for this thread was to find the right chemical here in England, so again if anyone on here re-polishes, where do you get the chemical from? Best, Dave. P.S. Doug, any ideas?