Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

Would you be interested in drought order insurance?

I use WFP - Yes.
21.4%
9 (21.4%)
I use WFP - No.
40.5%
17 (40.5%)
I'm trad
2.4%
1 (2.4%)
What's a drought order?
2.4%
1 (2.4%)
**** off, it's pouring down
11.9%
5 (11.9%)
Just voting to see the results
21.4%
9 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Voting closed: March 07, 2013, 11:48:38 am

Perfect Windows

Drought order insurance [POLL]
« on: February 15, 2013, 11:48:38 am »
Planning ahead today and have come up with a potential threat to many of us.

We're not always going to head into the spring and summer with full reservoirs (remember last spring?).  One year there WILL be drought orders and we'll be stuffed.

Would you be interested in taking out insurance?  It would work such that you decide on a level of cover.  If a drought order is announced in your stated location then you are paid the cover you've selected for the duration of the drought order.

I've spoken to an insurer who reckon that, given enough demand, they could create a product.  No idea yet on premiums but drought orders appear to be pretty rare beasts.

Vin

PS. I know it's the last thing on all your minds after the past year but, as the sage said, the best time to repair your roof is when the sun's shining.

Perfect Windows

Re: Drought order insurance [POLL]
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 01:18:35 pm »
16 views and two votes?!

p1w1

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 01:29:54 pm »
i personally wouldn't, in the last 10-12 years ive been wfp its never been an issue lots of talk but never happened, and even if it did the worse that can happen is i would have to trad for a month or so not worth paying out for years on insurance premiums for something that's not probably going to effect me plus i'm sure they would just find some technical issue not to pay out.

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 03:19:06 pm »
Is that insurance of a bet at Ladbrocks.Why would you insure if my area had the longest water restriction last but never stopped me one day as window cleaners were not included in these restriction. Insurance companies must love suckers who might spend money on this . ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D come on get real.

Halfadaylee

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 03:53:52 pm »
Tough call as I've never experienced an insurance company thats fair, they will generally do what they can to reduce or get out of paying up. If we could could, it would have to be extremely clear in the policy document and that may just make it too dear.
At least you know your being robbed at the bookies  ;D
Art

Joe Martin

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 05:51:08 pm »
http://www.bwca.co.uk/news.html
No thanks You will never be affected.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 05:55:31 pm »
The wording the insurance guy had in mind when we talked it over was something that included your postcode and the issuing of a "drought order" that affects the supply of water to a specific address (yours!), which is a very specific activity in a very specific location.

He also thought that since they are few and far between, the insurance might be fairly cheap.

Vin

Perfect Windows

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 05:56:38 pm »
http://www.bwca.co.uk/news.html
No thanks You will never be affected.

That's a hosepipe ban, not a drought order.

Vin

Joe Martin

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 06:05:38 pm »
Still will not be affected as it's for evaporation use and business use only.
We have been through this time and time again with the water board until we got a unit.
Thanks to the BWCA they helped us no end with this and the Fed.
Still good thinking Vin.

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 06:38:54 pm »
This must be some sort of a wind up.When did the U K ever have a drought so bad that this has happened  in the past. We do not live in a desert. Please answer I would like to know.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 07:20:22 pm »
This must be some sort of a wind up.When did the U K ever have a drought so bad that this has happened  in the past. We do not live in a desert. Please answer I would like to know.

When did you last drop your pole/ladder on a customer's head?  Has that stopped you being insured for it?

Vin

Perfect Windows

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 07:21:59 pm »
Amazing how short some people's memories are.  This time last year there was serious talk of drought orders.  In spring last year, hosepipe bans started.  Drought orders were the next step.  Regardless of what you might hope to have happened, they would have stopped WFPers being allowed to work.  No argument at all.

I'd pay £50 a year without a whimper if it meant that I wouldn't  go bust if that ever happened.

Vin

Joe Martin

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 07:58:33 pm »
This must be some sort of a wind up.When did the U K ever have a drought so bad that this has happened  in the past. We do not live in a desert. Please answer I would like to know.
1976......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_United_Kingdom_heat_wave

poleman

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 09:18:37 pm »
I would be happy to pay if it coverd the costs of my business but would it cover the cost of lost custom when the chap with ladder takes my business!

formb

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 07:42:09 am »
Insurance? Against the weather? In Britain?

I doubt 'product' will ever be 'produced'.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 09:15:43 am »
Insurance? Against the weather? In Britain?

I doubt 'product' will ever be 'produced'.

If you are holding a wedding/concert/festival/fair/country show in a given postcode on a given date you can get insurance for a sum if it rains.  It's EXTREMELY common and easy to arrange.

So, insurance.  Against the weather.  In Britain.

Vin

formb

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 09:43:59 am »

If you are holding a wedding/concert/festival/fair/country show in a given postcode on a given date you can get insurance for a sum if it rains.  It's EXTREMELY common and easy to arrange.

Yes but that is a completely different prospect. If you are going to insure against that (I never would, I live in Aberdeen, we know it is summer because the rain warms up) then why not insure against frost, snow or even rain?

Perhaps I should have said;

Insurance? Against the weather? In Scotland?

Perfect Windows

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 09:59:12 am »

If you are holding a wedding/concert/festival/fair/country show in a given postcode on a given date you can get insurance for a sum if it rains.  It's EXTREMELY common and easy to arrange.

Yes but that is a completely different prospect. If you are going to insure against that (I never would, I live in Aberdeen, we know it is summer because the rain warms up) then why not insure against frost, snow or even rain?

Perhaps I should have said;

Insurance? Against the weather? In Scotland?

The problem in England is that we don't get quite the same rainfall as you (you may have noticed).  Also, thanks to insufficient storage and around 1/3 of it leaking on its way through the mains, we do seem to be ready to run out any time the sun shines for three consecutive days.

Frost, snow and rain affect us for a few days at a time (where I live on the south coast not very much at all, much more where you live) but a drought order could easily last for a few months.

It would be a rare occurrence to get one but the impact could be huge.  As it's rare, the premium should be pretty small, though that relies on what my guy comes back with.

Then again, thinking it through logically, maybe I'd end up hoping for drought so I could have a nice, hot summer off and get paid for it...

Vin

PS. Already had someone offer the cover but only as part of another insurance, namely premises.  Won't work for anyone based at home.

Vin