Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

drakestar!

Immersion heaters
« on: January 22, 2013, 03:03:13 pm »
Quick question....
Which immerstion heater do you use?
Where did you buy it from?
Also does anyone have one with a household plug socket?
Thanks

R.C Property

Re: Immersion heaters
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 03:24:24 pm »
people use the same as the ones in the water tanks at home, any plumbing shop will have them.

i know some guys use these for heating there water up and this is great, its cheap to install, if you only use it once or twice its cheap to run compared to a lot of other methods.

as there are a lot of people that are reccomending these to people that might not know what they are doing or unsure of it, i thought i would post up the vital part that hasn't been mentioned, the wiring side of it.

So here is the only safe and legal way to wire one up, if these are not wired up correctly using the correct graded wire, circuit and fuses then the wire can over heat and could cause the plug/socket in the house to catch fire or even the wires in the van to catch fire.

Immersion heaters are usually rated at 3KW which, under normal circumstances would qualify them for being wired into a ring main. However, because immersion heaters can be left on, taking 3kw from a ring circuit would reduce the circuits capacity immensely so Immersion heaters are placed on their own radial circuit.

The mains cable for an immersion heater is a two core and earth 2.5mm cable. This cable should run to a 20amp double pole isolator switch (With neon indicator light) from where a heat resistant 16amp cable or flex should run to the heater.

Since April 2004 new and replacement immersion heaters must be protected by an overheating safety cut out.

Please remember to make tight all electrical connections. Loose connections can cause fires.

Plugs running continuously at 13A have a tendency to overheat and this can be seen by scorch marks on both the plug and the socket.

Whether you use a plug and socket, or an FCU, you will still need to ensure that the immersion is on its own circuit. This means that no other appliances or socket outlets are on the same fuse or breaker at the fuse box.

If you are wiring this from scratch, then do what most electricians do - fit a 16A breaker at the fuse box and then fit a 20A double pole switch at the immersion heater end, instead of a 13A FCU or plug and socket.

Tom White

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 03:32:41 pm »
Richard seems to know his stuff well and his was a good post.  I can't say I comply with all that; I plug my immersion into a socket in the shed which is spurred from the kitchen wall socket.  I use a plug timer and it comes on at 3.00 am and goes off at 8.00 am and no other electrical item uses this circuit during this period.

But yes, it's easy and cheap to install; I think the total cost (including buying a cutting tool for the tank and sealant) was about £40 and when I use it I go to work with warm water which turns tepid during the course of the day.  

I think it's class, and I prefer the sound of this than to the gas heaters, which I think may have their own safety issues.

Tom White

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 03:34:49 pm »
Which immerstion heater do you use?
Where did you buy it from?
Also does anyone have one with a household plug socket?
Thanks

Look on screwfix; I use a short one - I was advised to; the longer if not fitted flush may touch the plastic tank (that was the reason I was given).

And yes, they can be fitted with a normal plug; very simple to do. 

drakestar!

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 04:14:04 pm »
Thanks for your comprehensive replies.

DeLuce

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 04:41:38 pm »
I use the same method as Tosh, using a short element. You can also adjust the heat limit from 20s - 60°, I have mine at 50 for some reason.  ???
In the shed, the plug goes into a circuit breaker which a pro sparky installed.

AuRavelling79

Re: Immersion heaters New
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 05:23:14 pm »
Richard seems to know his stuff well and his was a good post.  I can't say I comply with all that; I plug my immersion into a socket in the shed which is spurred from the kitchen wall socket.  I use a plug timer and it comes on at 3.00 am and goes off at 8.00 am and no other electrical item uses this circuit during this period.

But yes, it's easy and cheap to install; I think the total cost (including buying a cutting tool for the tank and sealant) was about £40 and when I use it I go to work with warm water which turns tepid during the course of the day.  

I think it's class, and I prefer the sound of this than to the gas heaters, which I think may have their own safety issues.

Similar ...

I used the shorter one on 200 and 400 tanks and the longer one on my 650.
It's a game of three halves!