Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

davids3511

Transit 06 dual mass flywheel
« on: December 17, 2012, 06:49:28 pm »
Starter motor is going on my 06 transit. My mechanic recons the flywheel will need replacing. Does anybody have any experience of replacing the dual mass with a solid flywheel? It's alot cheaper.

Ian101

Re: Transit 06 dual mass flywheel
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 06:57:44 pm »
WHOA !!!! I had this and every garage told me DMF ... it wasnt it was just starter motor however you can buy kits for conversion for about £650 from memory.

Does the van shake itself to death when your driving or the gearlever vibrate / shake like a smackhead without his methodone ? if it dont prob just starter motor .... my transit used to eat 3 of em a year.

davids3511

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 07:01:04 pm »
WHOA !!!! I had this and every garage told me DMF ... it wasnt it was just starter motor however you can buy kits for conversion for about £650 from memory.

Does the van shake itself to death when your driving or the gearlever vibrate like a smackhead without his methodone ? if it dont prob just starter motor .... my transit used to eat 3 of em a year.
Nothing wrong other than noisy starter. The guy recons its iron filings from the flywheel screwing up the starter.

I can get a flywheel kit on ebay for about 120. Dual mass is about 240. Then there's the fitting. I am a bit afraid the flywheel will go boom and take the gear box with it.

PAUL ERITH

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 07:15:06 pm »
I help my brother do his fly wheel and cluch on a transit got the gear box off and their was metal and ballbearing every where took both of us about 6-7 hrs

Paul

Spruce

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 07:25:35 pm »
Starter motor is going on my 06 transit. My mechanic recons the flywheel will need replacing. Does anybody have any experience of replacing the dual mass with a solid flywheel? It's alot cheaper.

Sadly, in a lot of cases (not all) the DMF is at fault. Garages just quote for a new starter and clutch automatically, even when the vehicle doesn't have a DMF as they now presume they all do.

Have a search on Ford Mondeo forums as the 130 hp diesel from the introduction of Tdci all had DMF. I see a lot of posts where these have been replaced with standard flywheels successfully.

The original DMFs weren't as good as later ones. The clutch on my 04 plate Relay is a bit shuddery on takeoff and that has a DMF with 45k on the clock. I will replace that with a standard flywheel kit if I have to.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Joe Martin

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 08:23:31 pm »
Our old transit had this problem, take it to fords its not a job for a driveway, should cost you around £700.

Twc services

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 08:35:37 pm »
Had this problem before its common on the transits dust from bell housing wrecks the starter. Get a solid flywheel it's cheaper and stops the problem from returning.

Spruce

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 08:40:18 pm »
Had this problem before its common on the transits dust from bell housing wrecks the starter. Get a solid flywheel it's cheaper and stops the problem from returning.

The problem is that some have had a good experience with a solid flywheel replacement. Others have had additional vibrations which they have found unacceptable.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

robert mitchell

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 08:55:35 pm »
Costs way more than 700 at ford,  they quoted me nearly 1300 for my old focus,  go to a good independent or get a Volkswagen .
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

Joe Martin

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 09:28:15 pm »
 Not now,at most ford dealers have had prices set by Fords. Give them a ring.
Our next van will be VW.

dd

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 09:45:21 pm »
Am sure that not so long ago there were posts about problems with DMF on VWs and people wanting to replace them with a solid flywheel.

robert mitchell

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 10:51:39 am »
I have a 1999 t4 Volkswagen transporter,  115000 miles and no issues,  my friend has one 268000  miles on it now 110000 on veg oil and still on original dmf .

I think some newer vw had some issues but nowhere near the amount ford had,  ford changed the design in 2005 as you used to go after 75000 miles .
They never admitted there was any fault though

It normally ruined the starter motor as well .
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

EandM

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 01:14:06 pm »
Local garage has fitted a few Valeo solid replacement flywheels with no issues so far. The paperwork with the Valeo kit does state that there is an increased risk of damaging / snapping the crankshaft if you drive it like you stole it. Driven sensibly, probably fine - additional vibration, probably but sure it's liveable with.