Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

windiewasher

risk assessment please help.
« on: September 26, 2012, 12:31:34 pm »
could someone show me a risk assesment for wfp and working on a flat roof.
Pulling my hair out.ive got a new contract and they need the risk assessment and method statement.ive handed 2 in and both have been thrown back at me.
Please help.
Thanks
Takings off all first cleans till march 7th 2014
October  total=  cleaned  extra per month
November = cleaned extra per month
Total £  so far.

Dave Garrett

Re: risk assessment please help.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 01:28:33 pm »
Doc what did you get thrown back ?

Dave Garrett

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 01:54:34 pm »
Just downloaded risk ass & method Statement from last link if you need a hand to fill in let me know ideally should be completed on site taking into account all risks Height Traffic Electric Pylons ETC

windiewasher

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 05:44:09 pm »
Thanks dave.can i have your email please
Cheers
Total £  so far.

Dave Garrett

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 06:14:13 pm »

Dave Garrett

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 04:26:04 pm »
Doc how did you get on ?

windiewasher

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 09:52:40 pm »
cheers dave,sorry havent got back to you.
i rang them up and told em i wasnt happy,im going in monday to sort it and get it signed off.
i told them im not obliged to give them a risk assessment as i dont employ more than 5 people,there attitude changed. ;D
Total £  so far.

Spruce

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 04:27:20 pm »
i rang them up and told em i wasnt happy,im going in monday to sort it and get it signed off.
i told them im not obliged to give them a risk assessment as i dont employ more than 5 people,there attitude changed. ;D

Risk assessment applies to you as a sole trader so isn't restricted to a business with 5 employees or more.

They are totally within their rights to ask for a risk assessment and method statement advising them of potential risks how you are going to manage/reduce them on site. They are responsible to the H&S Executive for your safety and all others on site.

Not completeing this can leave both of you open the major litigation issues should you have an accident and they can't produce these documents from you. Its for your good as well as the good of that company.
So I can't understand your comment "I wasn't happy"............................

This sends the wrong message to newbie cleaners reading this.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

windiewasher

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 12:08:45 am »
Well i got told by a health safety officer it is not a legal requirement to have risk assesments with business of less than 5 people i also found it on a health and safety website!
Also i have been cleaning these windows for 6 months without being asked for risk assesments!
Total £  so far.

windiewasher

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 12:15:05 am »

Risk assessment applies to you as a sole trader so isn't restricted to a business with 5 employees or more.

They are totally within their rights to ask for a risk assessment and method statement advising them of potential risks how you are going to manage/reduce them on site. They are responsible to the H&S Executive for your safety and all others on site.

Not completeing this can leave both of you open the major litigation issues should you have an accident and they can't produce these documents from you. Its for your good as well as the good of that company.

Try reading this then mr know it all! :-*
So your comments with ill informed facts are wrong and not a good example for newbies.
http://www.bizhelp24.com/law/health-and-safety/health-and-safety-policy-and-risk-assessment.html
Total £  so far.

Spruce

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 08:20:32 am »

Try reading this then mr know it all! :-*
So your comments with ill informed facts are wrong and not a good example for newbies.
http://www.bizhelp24.com/law/health-and-safety/health-and-safety-policy-and-risk-assessment.html

OK. This would apply for you working on your residential customers - a dynamic risk assessment covering changeable things such as the weather.

This is also stated on the H&S website. http://www.hse.gov.uk/risk/faq.htm#q7

"Yes if you are an employer or self employed. It is a legal requirement for every employer and self-employed person to make an assessment of the health and safety risks arising out of his work. The purpose of the assessment is to identify what needs to be done to control health and safety risks. Regulation 3 of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999.  

You only need to record the assessment if you have 5 or more employees. See 'What do I need to record?' above.

How you could prove to an inspector you had done a mental assessment is not clear according to this?

Of course the converse is also applicable. The business that employs you will have to comply with H&S standards as well as the PUWER regulations of 1998. PUWER make you as a sole trade responsible for the correct use of your equipment so it doesn't cause injury to yourself or others. Its in their interests that you provide that document.

If you are stuck with this, I found this on the internet once that is very helpful, but doesn't include working off a flat roof.

http://www.southerncleaningservices.co.uk/methodrisk.pdf

Spruce

Spruce

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 08:36:04 am »
could someone show me a risk assesment for wfp and working on a flat roof.
Pulling my hair out.ive got a new contract and they need the risk assessment and method statement.ive handed 2 in and both have been thrown back at me.
Please help.
Thanks

getting back to the original topic. THEY ARE RESPONSIBILE FOR YOUR SAFETY AT WORK ON THEIR PROPERTY AS WELL AS ANY THIRD PARTIES.

Working off a flat roof is a real contentious issue as it would involve fall arrest systems which have to be checked every year by an authorised company. They issue a certificate and the cost is around £400 annually to check a couple of points on a simple cable system you clip your safety harness to.

The ideal thing for them is to put up safety rails all the way round the edge of the roof to prevent falls, but this is expensive.

I bet this company is actually looking for a cheap way of providing for your safety and hoping you will come up with a solution.

We clean the local high school and this is what happened to us recently. They want to install solar panels on a large section of roof and need to include how these will be cleaned to the local council's planning committee.
By the time they consider the cost of maintenance and providing and maintaining the fall arrest system, the money they make from the installation is minimal.

windiewasher

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 11:04:30 am »
Cheers spruce.
Ive just been in and finalised the deal and fair play to there health and safety they helped me fill it all in.
Total £  so far.

Spruce

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 04:34:05 pm »
Cheers spruce.
Ive just been in and finalised the deal and fair play to there health and safety they helped me fill it all in.

Thats great.

How are you going to approach the flat roof situation if you don't mind me asking?

windiewasher

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 05:09:29 pm »
2 metres from the edge of the roof i have to put barrier tape across the roof from  one end to the other.
They said they are more than happy with it and are signing it off.
Luckily theres stairs that go to the roof as it is a fire escape for the level above!
Total £  so far.

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 07:54:44 am »
It's an education filling out a competent Risk Assessment!

windiewasher

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 08:18:05 am »
It's an education filling out a competent Risk Assessment!
Sure is i aged 5 years and admit another contract i had in the bag about 18 months ago i was asked for risk assesments and also given a big pack to fill in via post went in the bin.
Total £  so far.