Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Carpet Dawg

Starting a cleaning business!
« on: August 13, 2012, 07:25:52 pm »
Hey guys

At the moment I run a carpeting cleaning business for the last 12 odd years but I always get asked if I do domestic cleaning/one off cleans.

So I think this would be the ideal way of scaling my business. I have been thinking of doing this for a long time.

I want to target mainly landlords, tenants, people moving in and out, lettings agents, builders etc Basicly one off deep cleans.

I'm not too keen on weekly domestic cleans as I think this can be a headache and would be hard to stop cleaners moonlighting or even worst, leaving and taking half your business along with them!

I would get staff in to do this.

So in terms of hourly rates, what should I charge? I know there's alot of varibals but whats a good ball park?
I was thinking of paying cleaners £8 an hour, and I would try and hire cleaners that already have experance.

Does anyone have alist on what should be done of every clean? i.e. carpets vac'ed, skirting dusted, tiled floor mopped...?

What are the pitfalls when taking on builder cleans? I presume they are the worst? Whats a good hourly rate for that? As I presume they are alot more time consuming.

Also, what kinda chems and tools do I need? I have a list already including a vac, mop and buckets, bleach etc but I would like to see what you experanced guys suggest.

many thanks in advance
Tony

Carpet Dawg

Re: Starting a cleaning business!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 12:12:59 am »
wow this part of the forum is pretty dead then

seldaw

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 10:24:03 am »
Hi were are you based .

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 01:24:46 am »
Edinburgh.

*Hector*

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 05:24:19 pm »

Sorry Tony couldn't resist it  ;D ;D
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 09:20:23 am »
If you get answer let me know please even if its by email

Use my yahoo

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 11:25:05 am »
So nobody has never  started a Cleaning Business ??? ???

Ps I am in Norfolk,

mike roberts

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 12:09:13 pm »
Surprised no one has answered your post  ???

For what its worth we used to offer domestic / builders and office cleaning.
 My partner ran this of the business, she quickly increased customers mainly by referal. The biggest headache however was finding / keeping staff, we were paying £8-12 /hr, on top of that you obviously have Ni plus insurance etc. If you go the self employed route you will need to ensure the cleaners have adequate insurance which is another headache as most dont.
We stopped offering these services (apart from a handfull of offices) as it simply wasnt worth the headaches / return.

Good luck Mike

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 02:51:59 pm »
Mike up until now I have stared clear for those reasons, but then I FIND THROUGH RESEARCHING COMPANIES HOUSE  forgive capitals did not mean to internet shout, that other people make success of it.

Some  in a short space of time in prosperous  areas  where it should be hard to find quality staff, to clean houses I could only dream off. I have checked some of the lesser known Franchises and non Franchise Companies to see what is hype and what is genuine. Only drawback with being Limited

Perhaps they have a big family,

mike roberts

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 04:02:18 pm »
Ian obviously there are companies out there making a success out of it, but we all base our judgements on our own experiences.
 From the companies we have and still work for with 200 plus staff....  I know their net profits over recent years have reduced dramatically for obvious reasons.