Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

tightswerve

scratched glass
« on: July 05, 2012, 12:06:21 pm »
Made a shoolboy error on new build and scratched glass on one window.
House being signed off on Friday. Anyone had this problem?
I have purchased some diamond rouge and a buffer but not sure that will do the job. Glass quite baldly scratched,must a have got some motar on wire wool and done the damage.  :(

Thanx guys

Steve  ;)

formb

Re: scratched glass
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 12:56:08 pm »
Hi,

It all depends on the glass and the depth of the scratch.

You can buff it out with cerium oxide but only if A) The glass is not toughened i.e a patio door or similar and B) the scratch is not deep enough to catch your nail on.

Be prepared to be there for many hours if you intend sorting it. If you have already admitted liability it might be easier / more cost effective to simply offer compensation.

Good luck

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 05:23:33 pm »
I know it's "stable door....."  But:  ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS get the customer to sign a disclaimer before touching a builders clean.

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 05:34:16 pm »
Just replace the glass it cannot cost more than 40 quid for double glassed glass panel.

Londoner

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 10:06:59 pm »
I know it's "stable door....."  But:  ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS get the customer to sign a disclaimer before touching a builders clean.

I would say NEVER, NEVER touch a builders clean. The money looks good on paper but the realiity is its always more hassle than you think, it always takes longer than you think and it can go terribly wrong and end up with you getting set up for scratches that were not your fault.

Go for the easy life. Avoid stress.

ben M

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 10:29:59 pm »

I would say NEVER, NEVER touch a builders clean. The money looks good on paper but the realiity is its always more hassle than you think, it always takes longer than you think and it can go terribly wrong and end up with you getting set up for scratches that were not your fault.

+1

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 10:34:47 pm »

Me neither.  I got one for £400 pounds last year. seemed easy enough.  Turned into a diaster and i ended up loosing £200!

Never again  ;D
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

tightswerve

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 08:27:33 pm »
Managed to polish out scratches with some stuff from glasspolishingshop.com. Diamond Rouge was no good.

The window style made it impossible to change glass and a new unit/complete window was a 3 week wait.

The builder and Ispent an hour or 2 with drill attachment and the stuff I mentioned which was more like a compound paste getting scratches out.

Thanx Guys  ;D