Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

bobplum

Shurflo pump.....upside down?
« on: June 25, 2012, 07:26:09 pm »
spoke to gav today to confirm or deny that the shurflo pumps we use should be upside down,ie the part were the water comes in and out should be at the bottom,he reckons yes would this be right,is it something the manufacturers recommend?

ps
not doubting gavs wisdom

evo

Re: shurflo pump.....upside down?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 07:28:51 pm »
spoke to gav today to confirm or deny that the shurflo pumps we use should be upside down,ie the part were the water comes in and out should be at the bottom,he reckons yes would this be right,is it something the manufacturers recommend?

ps
not doubting gavs wisdom

yes mate he is right and the reason for this is to take the pressure of the bearings so the pump can rotate more freely hope that helps
james 

Londoner

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 07:31:08 pm »
I would say yes, I don't think it makes a lot of difference except you want the inlet as low as you can possibly get it usually.

bobplum

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 07:34:12 pm »
oh well back out to the van then ;D

Spruce

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 08:21:11 pm »

ps
not doubting gavs wisdom

Shurflo now recommend the motor is fitted motor up is that any water leak would tend to gravitate away from the electrical motor rather than through it. (Shurflo fitting manual - "The pump may be mounted in any position. However, if mounting the pump vertically the pump head should be in the down position so that in the unlikely event of a leak, fluid will not enter the motor.)

Its got nothing to do this - "yes mate he is right and the reason for this is to take the pressure of the bearings so the pump can rotate more freely hope that helps - james". What a load of rubbish. 

Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

paul saunders

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 10:01:09 pm »

ps
not doubting gavs wisdom

Shurflo now recommend the motor is fitted motor up is that any water leak would tend to gravitate away from the electrical motor rather than through it. (Shurflo fitting manual - "The pump may be mounted in any position. However, if mounting the pump vertically the pump head should be in the down position so that in the unlikely event of a leak, fluid will not enter the motor.)

Its got nothing to do this - "yes mate he is right and the reason for this is to take the pressure of the bearings so the pump can rotate more freely hope that helps - james". What a load of rubbish. 

Spruce

That's what I thought ............ only I'm to polite to say it. ;D ;D
I can remember when waking up stiff in the morning was a good thing.

evo

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 03:51:26 pm »

ps
not doubting gavs wisdom

Spruce

i think you need to look into that a bit more mate just in case you did not know there is bearings in the bottom of the pump so by having it upside down dose takes the pressure off allowing the pump to rotate more freely. i know this because i have worked with the pump both way for a very long time and can tell the difference. I was trying to help the guy out so i would not say it was a load of rubbish but if thats the only reply you have and you need a diagram then please ask james

Spruce

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 05:20:37 pm »

ps
not doubting gavs wisdom

Spruce

i think you need to look into that a bit more mate just in case you did not know there is bearings in the bottom of the pump so by having it upside down dose takes the pressure off allowing the pump to rotate more freely. i know this because i have worked with the pump both way for a very long time and can tell the difference. I was trying to help the guy out so i would not say it was a load of rubbish but if thats the only reply you have and you need a diagram then please ask james

I'm sure Shurflo know more about their product than you do and they don't give this as a reason. In the early days Williamson Pumps didn't advise on the correct way a pump should be installed. The inlet filter which had a female thread locked tight (with the filter bowl facing down) with the pump housing above the motor. Peter Fogwill installed all his Shurflo pumps in his pump boxes this way up.

It has only been in recent years that they (Shurflo) have advised a mounting direction. The new Shurflo filters have a wingnut to allow adjustment of the filter bowl to suit any mounting configuration.

Secondly, I've worked in the technical department of Bosch Power Tools for many years with 12v battery driven motors used in the Gold mines underground and I've never heard a motor designer ever advising what you have.

So again, the advise you have given is a load of rubbish.

I'm also going to add that all those who say that the pump must be situated in this way so that it can be nearer to the floor to stop air locks are also talking rubbish. Is see the reply that was also included in this thread stating this has been removed.

Shurflo pumps are "self priming to a vertical height of 12' " according to the manufacturers. So if anyone is having airlocks, this is due to a pipe connection that isn't seating properly allowing air to enter the suction side.

The pumps on my 650l tank are both mounted halfway up the side and the pump in my sons van is nearly mounted above his 500 litre tank and we have never had airlock problems like this.

Spruce

evo

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 05:42:15 pm »

ps
not doubting gavs wisdom

Spruce

I'm sure Shurflo know more about their product than you do and they don't give this as a reason. In the early days Williamson Pumps didn't advise on the correct way a pump should be installed. The inlet filter which had a female thread locked tight (with the filter bowl facing down) with the pump housing above the motor. Peter Fogwill installed all his Shurflo pumps in his pump boxes this way up.

It has only been in recent years that they (Shurflo) have advised a mounting direction. The new Shurflo filters have a wingnut to allow adjustment of the filter bowl to suit any mounting configuration.

Secondly, I've worked in the technical department of Bosch Power Tools for many years with 12v battery driven motors used in the Gold mines underground and I've never heard a motor designer ever advising what you have.

So again, the advise you have given is a load of rubbish.

what ever ;D

mister bit

Re: Shurflo pump.....upside down?
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 05:45:59 pm »
lol ... now now  ;D

where are these underground Gold mines? and why are they using 12v motors? and who are the bosch motor designers? it sounds like a very interesting job

rg1

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 06:42:24 pm »

ps
not doubting gavs wisdom

Spruce

In that case I think I'll take the engine out of my van tonight and refit it upside down.
The pen is mightier than the sword (and a lot easier to write with!)

Spruce

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 06:57:10 pm »
lol ... now now  ;D

where are these underground Gold mines? and why are they using 12v motors? and who are the bosch motor designers? it sounds like a very interesting job

I was National After Sales Service Manager for South Africa at its Johannesburg Head Office.  Although I reported directly to our Sales Director in Jo'burg, my main boss was situated in Leinfelden, Germany (near Stuttgart.) We were in constant communication with all deptartments due to the size of the service department in South Africa. We were the biggest orderer and supplier of spare parts in the world, ordering twice as much as the USA in those days. (South Africa population wise was 93rd in the world at that time.) We were also unique as we were the only country in the world with a large population above 2000m (above sea level) which added further problems for power tools, especially with regard to cooling (the air is 20% less dense at this altitude and hence the cooling efficiency of it is 20% less.)

12 volt pneumatic rotary hammers were used with additional battery packs for drilling holes into the walls of the gold vein they were drilling. They drilled four 10mm holes every few meters. The first hole was in the centre of the tunnel roof, two further holes at the 10 to and 10 past (clock) and one on the ground. Each hole had an specially designed anchor fitted. The survey team would continually monitor the rate that the tunnel collapsed behind the drilling team as they drilled further into the vein by measuring the distance between these anchors.

So these motors would work in any vertical of horizontal position.

In a way, James is correct that any motor will push against the back bearing (usually commutator side) under load and so thrust washers or bearings that incorporate a thrust provision are fitted to counteract this and reduce wear. But this thrust against the rear bearing will not change with the angle of the motor. In will increase and decrease with the load placed on the motor.

Spruce

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 06:58:43 pm »

ps
not doubting gavs wisdom

Spruce

In that case I think I'll take the engine out of my van tonight and refit it upside down.

Why not fit bigger wheels on the back. This way the van will always be running down hill so will reduce your fuel bills.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 10:19:30 pm »
I fit my tank upside down - this means the water always stays at the bottom.
It's a game of three halves!

colley614

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 11:02:33 pm »
Bob the way Gav advised you to fit it is the way pure freedom fit their pumps onto their pump boards.

rg1

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 12:07:37 pm »
I fit my tank upside down - this means the water always stays at the bottom.

Great Idea!!  :D  Does it work with any type of tank as I have upright in my van ???
The pen is mightier than the sword (and a lot easier to write with!)

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 12:40:38 pm »
Have had my shurfo pump the right way, the wrong way and on its side .... never noticed a difference in the flow
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go