Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

DASERVICES

GLOVES
« on: January 09, 2006, 07:01:48 pm »

Guys,

Hope you can help me, up here in Scotland the cold has been killing my fingers
  and have had to stop work as I could no longer feel my fingers.

I have been wearing Unger gloves and even tried wearing PVC gloves
  underneath them and still frozen.

Any ideas for this Southern Hempishere woos.

Cheers

Doug

Re: GLOVES
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 07:35:05 pm »
Last year I purchased a set of red gloves from Omnipole.  They're extremely thick, 100% water proof and wool lined.

Very toasty.  I think they were about £36.00.

They're a little bit bulky for trad, but excellent for WFP, but I still do use them for trad though.  They're very easy and quick to pull on or off, so I wash and squeegie a whole load of windows with the gloves on, then remove my right glove and detail.

I suffer from dermatitus, so I'm more concerned with keeping the detergent off my hands, than keeping my hands warm. 

You'll have to Google for them from the Omnipole site.

I also use a heavy-duty marigold with a cotton liner.  The liners are available for a couple of quid from Boots.  Buy an extra-large heavy-duty marigold and a medium inner.

Unless you've hands like shovels, they should fit okay.

DASERVICES

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 08:27:51 pm »

Thanks Tosh,

Will give a go.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 10:26:56 pm »
Tosh said "I purchased a set of red gloves from Omnipole. They're extremely thick"

Whatever you may say about Omnipole I wouldn't call them thick! How rude! ;D
It's a game of three halves!

martindrz400

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 10:42:56 pm »
go to any good hiking shop waterproof gloves very warm not to thick and grippy on inside used by mike myears .dont like unger gloves

rosskesava

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 11:28:00 pm »
Any ideas for this Southern Hempishere woos.

Yup. No serious weather here as yet but that may change mid to late January.  ;D

Have you tried proper serious divers gloves?

They are warmest when wet (like the Unger gloves which are a cheaper version) because with neopreme, the water between the skin and glove acts as as an insulator. Hence the term 'wet suit'.

Anyway, when I've been hiking it arounds the Highlands, especially during winter, I've always used divers gloves. They tend to cost now around the £60 to £80 mark but well worth the money and they are quite flexible. (The Unger gloves make my hands ache on long jobs.)

Morph

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 11:43:33 pm »
Well I've been wearing a pair of windsurfer gloves(neoprene, no doubt), this winter.  I've had them for about 3 years, but hardly used them trad way because of need for fingers when detailing.
Now I'm wfp the gloves are more important.  Not waterproof but very warm.
Unfortunately at the end of the day my hands smell like they have been up a dead dog's backside for the last 4 hours!!  Not only that, but I can't get rid of the smell.

The only advantage to this is that everywhere I go in the evenings, people say to me, "Are you a Vet?", which is an interesting conversation opener.
But, I must change my gloves.  These will have to go!  Even at £25!

Pj

gaza

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 12:18:18 am »
I use heavy duty black rubber gloves when its in the minus [like a heavy duty marigold] take with me some warm water if I remember else its cold water,put on the gloves and allow a little water to enter the glove,soon warms up.

Used to pick brussel sprouts in winter,snow ,ice  and any thing else was thrown at us but never had cold hands.

may I SUGGEST IF YOUR GETTING COLD ,YOUR NOT WORKING HARD ENOUGH ;D

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

Ian_Giles

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 06:18:00 am »
The gloves from Omnipole for me, both for WFP and trad, detailing too!

They are bulky and take a little getting used to.

Give Omnipole a ring, they charge £20 + VAT, and I think they are the only ones that sell them too.

Apparently they are used by fishermen in the North sea, very hard wearing too.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

stevef

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 06:42:12 am »
Morph try using the gloves you get by the diesel pump
at the garage first, then put the other gloves over them
best of all they are free

Steve

DRS

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 03:32:40 pm »
just use ordinary wooly gloves mate i live up here to fair enough your fingers are still freezing for about half an hour or something but for some reason when they get wet they start to heat up.ive tried everything like surgical gloves but they just trap condensation and freeze.dont waste money on those unger gloves either there alright a suppose keep your hands warm but less control of what your doing.

gsw

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 03:40:41 pm »
bought unger gloves mid november (mostly wfp) they have been ripped to pieces so will now be buying omnipoles ones and hope they fair better. but have not had any problems with cold hands......they do stink though!!!!

s.hughes

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 03:44:56 pm »
I just use marigolds (blue not yellow) get the right size and they are great.

Steve