Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Neil Grainger

Black marks around edges of Carpet
« on: January 04, 2006, 05:46:48 pm »
Hello all

Been to quote for a large Job at a House today and have found marks around edges of the carpets. There are 10 rooms in the house and they all have this around the edges and I was wondering if there is anything that will get this out of a 82/20 cream carpet that is 5 years old.

Also there is black dodts around the griper nails aswell

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards

Neil

Samuel Bowmann

Re: Black marks around edges of Carpet
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 05:49:15 pm »
Sounds like draught marking and dots can be in rows from original fitters knee kicker puncturing backing.
Hard to remove totally but easy to lift to a degree with ecospotter or ultrapac.
Sam

Neil Grainger

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 05:56:09 pm »
The strange things is that their is marks all around the rooms but not much in the way of draughts.

Not seen it unifomly before like this.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 06:03:44 pm »
Hi Neil,

My preferred method is spray with Ultrapac renovate, 5 mins dwell , rub with an old towell , extract as usual.

The marks are caused by dirt being transported on the convection currents caused by the central heating.

Cheers

Doug

Neil Grainger

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 06:05:54 pm »
Hi Doug

Where can I get this from and what is the method of cleaning for this.

Cheers

Neil

Samuel Bowmann

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 06:26:47 pm »
Ultrapac is from Prochem
Sam

John Kelly

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 06:30:22 pm »
Neil

The marks you are seeing is probably where there is an airflow between the skirting board and floor. The carpet acts as a filter absorbing the fine dust and air polution causing it to turn black. I would guess the property is near a busy road, if so there will be quite a lot of diesel exhaust residue. You need to pre-spray and agitate well preferably with a hand brush. I would pre-qualify with the customer explaining what it is as sometimes it is impssible to remove completely.

gwrightson

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 06:33:55 pm »
Neil some where on here or the other forum, their is a picture sent in by M halliday, it is a supberb example of draught marking around the edges, along with lines caused by a fitters kickers, and i also believe in the same pic their is a stain caused by a plant pot,
Perhaps some one can point you in the direction of pic I cant seem to find it!!, or mike might repost,you wont see a better example.
How can you say there isnt much of a draught? you cant just put your hand there and expect to find evidence
http://www.cleanprosonline.com/Filtration_soiling.html
take a look here also
 Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Derek

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 06:35:22 pm »
Don't forget to explain to your customer what has caused the black marks and more importantly how to prevent it in future... Like Arnie....it will be back

Derek

Mike Halliday

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 06:36:42 pm »
www.anothercleaningforum.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1102779880

sorry geoff it won't let me put a link to the pictures :'(

mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

John_Flynn

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 06:37:24 pm »
Neil

If you use Ultrapac and scubb it with a towel, becareful of the grippers ripping your knuckles to shreds.

Should you have taken my T/M you would have got 5 litres of Ultrapac Renovate FREE.
I get better looking each day!!

Neil Grainger

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 06:44:01 pm »
Hi John

this is a £2m masion not near any roads. floors are concreate on each level thats why I am unsure what has caused this.

Thas why I am miffed with it.

Cheers

Neil

Anyone want and Aqua 40 thats for sale on Ebay

John Kelly

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2006, 07:24:20 pm »
In that case it may be just dust fall from the walls. If the cleaners don't vacuum right up to the skirting this can build up over time and resemble draught marks. Same principle for removal. Re agitation, thats why I recommend using a brush rather than towel, been there got knuckles to prove it.

Eddie Conroy

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2006, 07:28:36 pm »
Hi Neil,
I did a large country house, in the middle of nowhere and also had draughtlines - Caused by air movement under floorboards and coming through at the wall margins where there was no underfelt. Also have the same problem in my own house whee the walls are dry lined and the thermal air movement is considerable. In all cases I had to hand brush the product in and tried to towel off. Mixed results form Ashby's extra grease and Ultrapac Rennovate
Regards
Eddie

John_Flynn

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2006, 10:08:58 pm »
Neil

Doesn't matter about concrete floors, draft is like water, if there a way it will get through.

Neil Grainger

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2006, 08:37:22 pm »
Hi Gents

I take it that ifafter you have applied Ultrapac renovate your HWE in the normal way.

Cheers

Neil

John_Flynn

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2006, 08:40:08 pm »
Yes, after you have AGGRIVATED it let it dwell 5/10 minutes DO NOT allow to dry before extracting.

Neil Grainger

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2006, 09:05:14 pm »
Cheers John

is it good to give it a real soaking before extracting.

Have you sold your truckmount yet

cheers

neil

John_Flynn

Re: Black marks around edges of Carpet New
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2006, 10:53:36 pm »
Neil

Just spray it, no need to soak. As said in post before this USE WARM/HOT water.

Got a deposit on the T/M, but the buyer has not contacted me to pick it up, left him messages but had no reply, I am now in Cloud Cuckoo land, do not want to book in work in case he wants to collect it, but cannot afford not to book in work, as you know I have bought a van for my New venture and do not want to have then both insured as it costs a fortune to insure for Courier work..

Nigel_W

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2006, 07:46:06 am »
Neil,

This link might help explain it to your customer.

http://www.designcare.co.uk/new_page_4.htm

Print it out and use it if you like.

Nigel