Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Spruce

Re: van being chipped
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 08:13:28 am »
I had a look on the internet following this thread and there seems to be loads of products and claims out there from remapping to simply plugging in a chip yourself or posting your ecu off for an update. Lots of different prices too. Very confusing.
Wouldn't mind a bit more umpff and fuel economy from my Toyota Hiace but it's pretty low geared so don't know what the difference would be.
115 bhp Renault Trafic I hired was much quicker than my 90bhp Toyota even though I have a much bigger engine.

The only reason why bhp on diesel engines was 'introduced' was so the manufacturers marketers had something to compare the engine to with petrols. A diesel engine is all about torque and how it develops it. Coupled with the right gear ratios will bring out the best of the power band.

A Citroen 2.0 hdi 110hp C5 was a better caravan tower that its bigger engined brother the 2.2 with a 136 bhp engine.  According to a friend his 2.0l 110hp C5 towed his caravan better that the 2.0 130 hp Jaguar diesel he replaced the C5 with. The jag engine was an Hdi deririvitive that was produced in the joint engine venture with Ford and PSA.

I read once that the very early Gardiner Diesel L engine which was used in railway shunting yards was a 3 cylinder 90hp engine but it produced massive amounts of torque so did the job well. I noted this as one of the companies I worked for had the Gardiner Diesel engine spares agency - that was over 40 years ago.

Spruce

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Dave Willis

Re: van being chipped
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 08:21:36 am »
Gardiners? bet it was light too.