Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

MJCleaning

Help Anyone Repaired a tank ?
« on: October 02, 2011, 02:31:08 pm »
I have a 800 litre tank in my van it is 5 years old & it has just developed a hairline crack on the very edge of the tank , right on the joined edge it seems. Has anyone a good idea for repairing ?It is half way up the tank and is leaking everywhere although only a small split !

Any suggestions, preferably tried & tested would be really appreciated !!

Thanks
Mark

bobplum

Re: Help Anyone Repaired a tank ?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 02:37:25 pm »
you can get "bath repair kits" from bq and plumbing merchants or maybe a "body filler" type kit,using fibreglass  strips and then sealing them with the resin

billy08

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 09:29:41 pm »
I had a small leak in a similar place and just used super glue!

Hasn't leaked since,2 years now.

Spruce

Re: Help Anyone Repaired a tank ? New
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 09:48:54 pm »
I have a 800 litre tank in my van it is 5 years old & it has just developed a hairline crack on the very edge of the tank , right on the joined edge it seems. Has anyone a good idea for repairing ?It is half way up the tank and is leaking everywhere although only a small split !

Any suggestions, preferably tried & tested would be really appreciated !!

Thanks
Mark

Guys who 'weld' plastic car bumpers will be able to fix it. If the leak is on a none structural section then silicone adhesive will also work. If its on the join, then it will need welding. Glue probably won't be strong enough as the tank will want to split apart with just the weight of the water in it.

Whether is worth going to the expense for something that won't be guaranteed can only be determined once you get a repair price.

I would complain to the supplier/manufacturer and see what sort of response you get.

Another thing is that you can mess around for days with something like this, wasting earning days.

I would consider replacing it and taking a knock.

Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

MJCleaning

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 01:30:50 am »
Hi
Thanks for ideas. I will give them a go. If unsuccesful a new tank it will be , altho hard to find a 800 l
Thanks again