Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

davetherave

phoning customers the night before and weather reports
« on: August 18, 2011, 03:01:17 pm »
Last night at 8pm on the met office website it said it was going to be raining heavy pretty much all day in my area. So I decide I'll have to unfortunately take the day off, despite already being miles behind on my round already.

Then I get up this morning to be greeted by a glorious dry day and check the weather report again to find its now going to be dry all day???

Because I have to phone a lot of my customers the night before to leave their side gates open, etc, I can't go out because the gates will be locked. Obviously this means the met office have cost me a day's pay.

And this is only the first of many times this has happened. They just don't seem to have a bloody clue.

I want to know what you other guys do to avoid this happening? do you just ignore weather reports
altogether?   

steven ainger

Re: phoning customers the night before and weather reports
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 03:09:24 pm »
Call/txt as normal, saying weather permitting, or go and do the houses that dont need calling

Taylor & Taylor WC Services

davetherave

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 03:23:07 pm »
So Taylor & Taylor do you never look at the weather reports at all?

Mike_G

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 03:55:02 pm »
I always text and add weather permitting then if it changes you can still work

cozy

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 03:59:55 pm »
Call/txt as normal, saying weather permitting, or go and do the houses that dont need calling

Sounds good to me. I stopped trusting the MET office years ago mate. I have the radar page that I click onto some mornings, but even that can show light rain when it's really low cloud.

Don't trust the MET Office mate!! Fastest way to go out of business.

gary999

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 04:08:25 pm »
i would rather trust a fir cone or a bit of seaweed
than trust the halfwits at the met office.

supposed to have poured down in brum not a drop all day
glad i was having a day off anyway.

i get up these days stick me head out the window if
i aintgetting hit by hurricane style winds or horizontal rain
i carry on regardless :)

Frankybadboy

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 04:44:08 pm »
my dream job is working for the met office.

co-ck up every day and stillhave a job.

i never take any notice of the weather,
i only tx/call the ones i need to,otherwise i just keep going.

worked all day in the rain so no problems

davetherave

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 04:51:01 pm »
yeah i think you're all right. the met office are a joke, i'm just gonna stop looking at the weather reports from now on.

bobplum

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 04:58:14 pm »
we just go and see what happens i have given up on weather reports and as some say do the ones who are out at least you will earn some money

sam125

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 05:13:41 pm »
why does it  matter if it rains get out there you girl thingy ;D

cozy

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 05:21:53 pm »
why does it  matter if it rains get out there you girl thingy ;D

Good point. We work in light drizzle etc or showers, but I hate getting wet, so wont work in rain on dom work.

Taylor & Taylor WC Services

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 05:57:03 pm »
So Taylor & Taylor do you never look at the weather reports at all?

I honestly never look. If I did would there be any point in getting out of bed sometimes. I just take it as it comes and it doesn't rain hard enough to stop us working that much.

The only time I pay attention is in winter but for temperature only so I know if I need to put a heater in the van overnight.

dave0123

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 06:08:21 pm »
Last night at 8pm on the met office website it said it was going to be raining heavy pretty much all day in my area. So I decide I'll have to unfortunately take the day off, despite already being miles behind on my round already.

Then I get up this morning to be greeted by a glorious dry day and check the weather report again to find its now going to be dry all day???

Because I have to phone a lot of my customers the night before to leave their side gates open, etc, I can't go out because the gates will be locked. Obviously this means the met office have cost me a day's pay.

And this is only the first of many times this has happened. They just don't seem to have a bloody clue.

I want to know what you other guys do to avoid this happening? do you just ignore weather reports
altogether?   

one of the reasons i don't txt/call any of my customers. If they have seen the weather all you will get is replay saying its going to rain don't bother.
Dave.

C-Thru.

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 10:56:15 pm »
I Live approx 1.5 Miles from The National Met Office here in Exeter and they have over £10,000,000 of computers to help them and they Don't get our weather right locally so you guys are Buggered if you listen and watch forecasts.

If you want to know the weather look out the window! its more accurate!

According to stats they are just over 35% correct.

Just get some waterproof clothing and carry on, 'Dickies' workwear do some great stuff, I get mine at a local farm supply shop cheap as chips and dry inside all day!
Tip; get a size too big and they are good for winter too on top of all your warm gear!

mci services

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 11:03:15 pm »
I just go to work and if I can't see the window I am cleaning because the rain is stinging my eyes I may give it a miss :P otherwise keep going, the other day I went through three jackets that were soaked through, if I am all up to date I may give it a miss as well

poleman

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 01:19:27 am »
we didnt work today in bournemouth this is why .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xfgB-EQUAw

bobplum

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 07:21:24 am »
we didnt work today in bournemouth this is why .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xfgB-EQUAw

YOU STOPPED FOR A LIGHT SHOWER,bloody southern softies ;D ;D

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 07:49:24 am »
i only have a few jobs(around 10 jobs out of 340+ customers) that i text/phone the night before cleaning.most of them are bigger accounts that i make the first job of the day.

i never take much notice of weather reports.how many times does the rain never come or not start until late afternoon/teatime?loads of times!!you will lose a fair size chunk of money over the course of a year if you   run your business by weather reports.

also go out in the morning even if its raining as you ll find 9 times out of 10 that by the time you get to your first job it will have stopped or will just be  sporadic showers!

i work in light rain/showers but head off home if its bouncing down and it looks like its in for most of the day.

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

david watts

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 07:57:38 am »
one of my rules if i phone i turn up;
no mater what the weather and if turned away so be it
but i turn up
life is like a box of chocolates you get the crap no one else wants