Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Crystal-clear

Cam belt question
« on: May 13, 2011, 08:10:26 pm »
My van has done 105,000 miles i got it at abouit 83,000 the person i got it from told me he did change the cambelt but had nothing in writing to confirm.

the recommended change is 80,000 its its an old 99 vauxhall combo 1.7
i asked 2 local mechanics one laughed and said 20k over the recommended it must have been changed told me not to worry and get it changed at about 130ish.
he said its a vauxhall it would have snapped.

the other says that i just could be lucky and i should change it for peace of mind ,

i know the sensible thing would be to just change it but i have been thinking about upgrading my van for months now dont wana waste money if i dont need to.

So has anyone heard of the 1st belt lasting 105k on a van such as mine!?

Mike_G

Re: Cam belt question
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 08:16:07 pm »
If it snaps you will need a new van a bit sooner than in a few months! I'd get it changed just so you get more time to pick a new van as opposed to buying one on the quick because you need to get a van.

p1w1

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 08:17:16 pm »
ive just upgraded to a new van, but still using my  r reg combo 1.7 (98 i think) for a couple more weeks i bought it with 31k on the clock it now has 133k on it and ive never changed the cambelt..its one of those things if it goes your stuffed if it doesn't then great, suppose depends if your really going to upgrade if not may be worth getting it done.

paul

EandM

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 08:26:52 pm »
We had a Citroen BX and Peugeot 205, both diesel and both 1769cc.
Both did 120,000 on the original belts until the BX broke.
Remember: Cambelts are cheaper than heads.
If in doubt: Change it!

Frankybadboy

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 08:32:14 pm »
for whats it cost it worth doing soon as,just for the piece of mind.

scud

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 08:48:55 pm »
  Never take anyones word for a cambelt change ona second hand vehicle unless it is backed up with documents/receipts from the garage that did the work.

I have always had the cambelt changed on any secondhand vehicle I purchased if I have no evidence of it being done at the correct time.

I had one go on a second hand Ford Orion when I was younger, it cost a small fortune even though it only took out a few valves and 2 pistons.

Johnny B

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 08:52:21 pm »
If you have no records to back up the cambelt being changed, I would assume it hasn't been done, and would suggest getting it changed as soon as...

John.
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 08:54:54 pm »
cheers for advice will prob get it done , i keep looking at new vans , each time i kinda ready i end up pouring some cash into this old one ,

new clutch last month
this month rear shoes and hubs
this month new cambelt

sod it might as well change the alternator belt and get a full service use it till next year put it in its mot and tax it in aug with all that cash spend on it i would have to use this old van another bloody year it wouldnt make sence getting a new van till then :(

but i really wana nice 05 connect or something ill just have to hold out   >:(

Dougaldum

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 09:18:58 pm »
you need to get a ford transit that have  a  chain belt so you dont have change ever ;)