Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

cleanability

Rippling carpets
« on: May 06, 2011, 05:24:53 pm »
Yeah I know we've all had a carpet that starts to ripple when you clean it or you get a call later from a customer that her carpet has rippled even though it was flat when you left it and it always flattens out later. But.................. has anyone had a carpet that was flat when you left, then rippled but didnt flatten out after it had dried? I havent yet but I'd be curiouis if anyone has.

Chris

Simon Gerrard

Re: Rippling carpets
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 05:36:52 pm »
Yes, unfortunately we have. The customer put a heavy table in the dining room back in place so the carpet couldn't settle naturally. We got a carpet fitter to sort it, no problem.

Simon

cleanability

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 06:27:07 pm »
Out of interest. Where a carpet has stretched or rippled for whatever reason can glue be injected in to the ripple and pressed down? Not sure but I'm sure I heard this is done.

Chris

John Kelly

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 06:32:14 pm »
On no account use glue, it would just squeeze back through the carpet and make an allmighty mess. Glue is only suitable for impervious backed carpets designed to be glued down. Anyway the carpet has stretched so you would still have excess material. Just needs stretching back onto the grippers and maybe trimmed. Always leave a couple of weeks before doing anything though.
Every carpet cleaner should have a relationship :o with a decent carpet fitter. A good carpet fitter, there are some crap ones, will be able to fix any problems as regards stretching etc and not only that you will find you can pass the occasional job to and thro. In fact offer them a percentage and they may bring a lot of work.

tony bish

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 09:12:08 pm »
Carpet can be glued as it is being stretched ie if you lift one side of the carpet up spray glue the offending lump then as you put it down stretch it with your feet untill all the carpet is on floor as you walk pulling out the lump ,then stretch onto gripper ,in fact rubber backed carpet as opposed to hessian is harder as the backing sticks too quickly to floor not enabling you to stretch whereas hessian takes a while longer .

John Kelly

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 10:13:57 pm »
I think Chris was talking about injecting glue into the ripples.

tony bish

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 09:07:15 am »
Injecting Hmmmm never heard of that one

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 12:43:22 pm »
Is it just rippling or delamination in the trafficked areas?