Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

p1w1

is it worth using Protectakote
« on: May 12, 2011, 08:52:23 pm »
got my new van today lwb connect just wondering is it really worth doing the floor in Protectakote it came with the plastic/rubber flooring mat that i will put the tank on top just wondering if its as hard wearing as they say it is..

thanks
paul

Lee GLS

Re: is it worth using Protectakote
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 08:58:07 pm »
i have the rubber flooring in my connect, i didnt bother with protecta cote, the mat is pretty durable.

p1w1

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 09:02:51 pm »
i have the rubber flooring in my connect, i didnt bother with protecta cote, the mat is pretty durable.
thanks lee dont think ill bother then...what bulkhead to you have on your van if any? i'll have to try and catch you in stansted one day wouldn't mind seeing how youve kitted out the back of your van.

ta
paul

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 09:10:35 pm »
If water spills it will get trapped under the mat & won't dry out for ages,... any little scratch will start to rust.

For the sake of £60 and a few hours work, I think protectakote is essential really.

groundhog

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 09:15:22 pm »
When I got my secondhand Dispach 6 years ago, the chap at Omnipole said that I must get it coated with protetakaote or the pure water would eat through the metal within 6 months... I decided against it when they gave me a very expensive price to do it!! That was 6 years ago, and despite the fact that I reguarly flood the back of my van when I forget I'm filling up!!! there is not even the slightest bit of rust in the back of my van!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Seriously don't bother and save your money!!  ;)

p1w1

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 09:27:12 pm »
yeah ive never used it in my combo and have a tank in that for nearly 7 years and cant see any damage, but i'm going to get a custom tank made for my new van and once thats in i never want to move it so just wondered if i should just do it for the added protection.

GoodFella2006

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 10:19:41 pm »
yeah ive never used it in my combo and have a tank in that for nearly 7 years and cant see any damage, but i'm going to get a custom tank made for my new van and once thats in i never want to move it so just wondered if i should just do it for the added protection.

I also have a combo van with a 350 lt flat tank. Just wondering,what sort of custom tank you are getting?

p1w1

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 10:32:00 pm »

I also have a combo van with a 350 lt flat tank. Just wondering,what sort of custom tank you are getting?
its for my new van just looking into it from these guys http://www.plasticwatertanks.co.uk/ not sure exactly what yet going to have a measure up i much more prefer the baffles they use in there tanks to the standard tanks you can get off the shelf. i have a standard 400lt in my combo at the moment.
paul

Tom White

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 10:33:16 pm »
For the sake of £60 and a few hours work, I think protectakote is essential really.

Yeh, I think so too.  Why risk it?  And it's not a few hours work.  Mikecam gave me a great tip.  Normally you have to wire wool all the shinyness from the van floor to get the protectakote to bond to the surface you're painting it on.  But you don't have to do this.

Get a can (one should be enough for a combo I reckon) of good quality priming spray, and spray the floor of your van.  It's dry almost immediately, and gives an excellent key for the protectakote to adhere to.

There's 70K on my clock, and since I also have a car, I'll probably only do about 8 to 10K per year in the van; so hopefully I'll have the van for another five years at least (if I don't die or crash it or something major); so the £65 - £75 I spent on the van floor is well worth it.

p1w1

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 10:52:30 pm »

Yeh, I think so too.  Why risk it?  And it's not a few hours work.  Mikecam gave me a great tip.  Normally you have to wire wool all the shinyness from the van floor to get the protectakote to bond to the surface you're painting it on.  But you don't have to do this.

Get a can (one should be enough for a combo I reckon) of good quality priming spray, and spray the floor of your van.  It's dry almost immediately, and gives an excellent key for the protectakote to adhere to.

There's 70K on my clock, and since I also have a car, I'll probably only do about 8 to 10K per year in the van; so hopefully I'll have the van for another five years at least (if I don't die or crash it or something major); so the £65 - £75 I spent on the van floor is well worth it.

this will be for a lwb connect that i got today but thats a good tip with the primer this has 32,000 on the clock so i'm hoping for a good 7-8 years at least for me , so yeah i guess looking at it that way then for the small outlay its worth it.

How many tins did you need for it? and did you put 2 coats down as recommended. i'm hoping the 4lt kit will be enough and maybe thin the first coat down a bit..

thanks for the replys

paul

Tom White

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 11:03:00 pm »
Paul, I reckon two tins of primer and a normal can of protectakote will do you.  I only used about three-quarters of a tin of protectakote on my floor (I've a Citroen dispatch).

I did do the two coats; you can put the stuff on thin; but it's still thick.

With the priming spray, it's a doddle to do.  I don't care about getting the van floor wet now.

It gives a good non-slip surface too.

TLC

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 11:36:39 pm »
I've got a good idea about how to save time, simply put the protectakote in tank and apply with wfp! Why hasn't anyone thought of that?  ;D

Ps: any waterproof paint will do, save yourselves £50 n get some from b&q!!!

TLC

alanwilson

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 01:45:07 am »
uhh tosh - I do believe it was me who gave you the tip??

Alan just home from a party (off tomorrow!!)
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

Tom White

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 08:33:40 am »
uhh tosh - I do believe it was me who gave you the tip??

Alan just home from a party (off tomorrow!!)

Sorry, Alan, you and Mikecam both look the same.

Great tip by the way!  Worked really well and saved a load of wire-wooling! 

I still owe you a pint!  ;D

p1w1

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 09:29:18 am »
1 last question do I just use a standard metal primer for the base coat and roll or paint on..
Thanks again
Paul

Tom White

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 11:55:18 am »
1 last question do I just use a standard metal primer for the base coat and roll or paint on..
Thanks again
Paul

Hi Paul, I just used a standard metal primer from Motorworld; spray on stuff.  And for the protectakote, I got the flat bed package where you get a tin of paint, gloves, and a roller in the same box.  It came with everything I needed.

You spray the primer on; it took two cans for my Dispatch.  It dries really quick.  You then roll on the first coat of protectakote, and leave it for about an hour (so that it's just sticky), then apply the second coat.  It goes on really easily.  I put it on fairly liberally and I still had about a quarter to a third of a can of protectakote left over.

p1w1

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 12:11:56 pm »
Great ill get on to it ....thanks mate
Paul