Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ian Gourlay

Curtain Cleaning
« on: December 05, 2010, 05:18:20 pm »
Anyone who would like to give a

Master Class on this Subject.

Following Mikes post and talking to Joe on Friday I did go and take a look at Cleantalk for first time in about a year.

There is topic about LM cleaning of Curtains

There is also the usual post from Derek Bolton about not being able to post about Steam Cleaning in case he is sued , due to his training role etc.

So I guess that means we either have to continue to experiment or go on a Derek Course

I am wondering how low moisture cleaning of curtains compares with Solvent extration

What do you do about linings

I have tried the L.M method on my own suite and curtains but not over impressed. But i did not use Fussion L.M

Len Gribble

Re: Curtain Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 05:59:01 pm »
I give curtain cleaning a big miss don’t think my insurance covers me going up ladders or standing on a chair as for cleaning them yeh right cant remember when the wife last vacuum them, ??? but understand Derek keeping below the radar
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 06:01:32 pm »
Ian there isn't a magic chemical to clean curtains with, I sell curtain cleaning as more of a valet, linings can't be done, you are offering a convenience clean where results go from brilliant to poor but always smell nice ;)

Shaun

PS I charge 40p - 80p a sq ft, I know that's a big difference but if someone says 1 pair of curtains 7ft with 2 widths x 2 = 112 sq ft = £89.60

clinton

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 06:11:14 pm »
Easier to take them to a dry cleaners if its a good client,why mess around with them..A good dry cleaners too ;)

idealrob

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 06:14:23 pm »
Most Dry cleaners, eg Johnson or Sketchley will charge about max £40, we charge trade £25 for these sizes, so plenty of profit for c/c

idealrob

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 06:16:54 pm »
I can't lose with that one Clinton but some people just won't take them down, also there's swags and tails that can be nailed to battons.

Shaun

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 06:20:42 pm »
I agree Rob but if you're asked to do this kind of service why not?

Shaun

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 08:57:51 am »
Ideal Rob

Bit confused

Think you said you do Curtains for £25

If so what method do you use

Shuan

I know you were trying to find out about steam  and micro splitters

Are you using this method or have you now gone to solvents

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 06:42:00 pm »
If they are very dirty I leave them. Light dirt then spray a m/s and towel dry.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 08:45:45 pm »
Hi Ian,

I use solvent on some, MS on others and steam on others, it's hard to explain you tend to find your own level, you'll be surprised what a good pre vac will do, Stain busters used to have a video but it's not on their site anymore where after a good vac they would 'fog' a solution onto the fabric and then use a micro fibre mitt to wipe the product in.

White towelling is a marketing genius ;)

Some cleaners will HWE them I think Andy from Liverpool does I prefer not to.

Shaun

markpowell

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 08:49:26 pm »
Dry Vac, Nemisis and Terry towels is the way i go when asked to clean curtains, have picked up a few big jobs in the past cleaning all carpets and upholstery simply because i said i could clean the curtain where other cleaners had said no Thankyou
Mark

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 09:00:30 pm »
I saw that Stainbuster Video.

Again I do use steam customers happy but I am not convinced.

Did HWE once in an Indians House  sort of a friend

Never said they shrank

But did pass a remark once when i did not speak to him at a meeting

about me having a guility Concinious

But i think that was charging for charging him £300

For Large lounge Large  Dinning room Stairs Landing   2  3 seater sofas and 6 sets of curtains

Some people do not know when you are doing them a favour

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 09:15:06 pm »
He'd have avoided me if I were to charge him just incase I found any change in his pockets! You did him a favour at that price "Call the Police there's been a robbery"

Shaun

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 09:20:43 pm »
It was at the Police Forum where I used to meet him

Yes I had a guilty Conscience , not earning enough for my wife to live in the style she became accustomed to when I rich.

Seriously

Only Courses I have been on involve Solvent Cleaning , apart from Ashcombe Manual !986 version I read little about how you decide if you can HWE curtains

Unless you do the pin square test , but would that be foolproof

idealrob

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 09:36:00 pm »
I have a fully dry cleaning factory and use a couple of £30 grand dry cleaning machines, and at one time cleaned thousands of pairs of school curtains every year and flame retarded them. The factory was bought by my father 41 years ago, just for cleaning carpets, the days of floof, and uplift dry, clean & re-fit, the got into curtain cleaning, now doing carpet cleaning, but now because of internet doing non stop wedding dresses, so business has really changed around

idealrob

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 10:00:15 pm »
Now then Rob how do I become an agent for you? we do get asked at the shop but looking for a reputable company, how does it work regarding transportation and costs?

Shaun

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 10:10:37 pm »
you are offering a convenience clean where results go from brilliant to poor but always smell nice ;)

I think I know what you mean ;)
I always explain the difference between being taking away to a dry cleaners and being done in situ. The choice is always with the customer if they just want them vacuumed and smelling nice.

peter maybury

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 10:26:02 pm »
Ian,
There are pitfalls to curtain cleaning which is why people on here have such a negative reaction to the subject but because of this negitivity there are oppprtunities where there is less competition. There is less ccmpetition  in the places you advertise but there is not the same amount of work as say carpet cleaning. There is a lot of commercial work cleaning curtains and applying flame retadant treatment  in the commercial sector and as others have said wags pelmets etc cannot be removed for obvious reasons. The sheer inconvenience of taking curtains down, transporting them and returning them uncreased is a pain and also an opprtunity for you. Over a year you are not going to make a living but as an addition to what you are doing it can be a good bonus. It will also introduce you to customers that other carpet cleaners cannot be bothered to accomodate it will also stop access  by your competitors that offer curtain cleaning to your customers. As has been said there are limitations and risks and it is a matter of being able to identify these in order togive your customers realistic expectations. A diclaimer against schrinkage and permanent damage such as mould and sun fade etc needs to be signed. This is something that any reponsible dry cleaner will do as a matter of course anyway.
As  regards a crash course there is not one some curtains willl respond wll to steam cleaning ( a proper steam generator not water extraction)
Some will respond well to solvent cleaning, There have been some curtains that have been that dirty that we have hot water extracted. Then there are some chemicals you can simply spray onto the fabric to get good results.
Whilst I could not run my business just on the curtain, leather and flood work I would hate to be without the revenue that these thing bring in.
If you ever want to talk about the subject just give me a bell on 07788621555 or emil me via my website.

Peter
www.carpetcleanercardiff.com

Vernon Purcell

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 11:47:59 pm »
The PBII by US Products is a great machine for dry cleaning fabrics, but it will set you back £3000 or so