Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

angela stone

Is it a verbal warning?
« on: November 04, 2010, 02:48:41 pm »
hi guys,

I have a member of staff who asked me by text whilst I was on abroad on holiday, if she could have a week off at christmas.  I said that I already had 4 off and therefore it would be a struggle.  As I was on holiday I hadn't said yes or no categorically.

The first time I saw her when I got back, she said that she had booked the holiday with the travel agent as it was such a good deal. 

I was not happy at all.  This is probably going to mean that I have close down Christmas week as my baby is due then and we just don't have the staff to cover.

The 4 who are already off have followed procedure by handing me a holiday form and having it authorised.  They are forced to be off as all the childrens nurseries close down.

Do you think I should give her a verbal warning?

Incidentally the last time she booked a holiday I was on holiday again, and she texted me on a Saturday asking for the following week off as she was moving house!

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers guys  8)

supernova77

Re: Is it a verbal warning?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 04:37:04 pm »
Hi,

I don't think I would give her an official verbal warning, but I would just remind her of the process she should be following...

Can you cover the xmas period with temp staff?

Andy

BDCS

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 04:47:57 pm »
Write her a letter reminding her that the proceedure must be followed when requesting holiday - you are going to honour this time but won't be so leanient next. Take on a child minder to look after the bin lids so the mums can work

newbroom

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 08:02:10 pm »
It is a disciplinary issue, does she know the correct procedures to follow when requesting holiday. You need to deal with this or you will find your authority is undermined if isn't being eroded already. If she goes on this holiday it is unauthorised absence unless you agree to it retrospectively, its your choice bite the bullet let her know who is the boss or you can let her decide when she is available to work. Nip it in the bud as soon as you walk past a problem it becomes the standard.

Colin Day

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 11:47:00 pm »
If you'd given her a "Clear" answer... Yes or no to her question in the first place, you'd have a leg to stand on....

If you can cope without her, I'd let it lie and deal with the short fall like a good boss does! Never let them know they are relied upon... too much  ;)

Pristine Clean

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 10:30:14 am »
Actually what you should have done was in way in advance. was to have a rota, schedule in place.

That way people know what shifts they have to work even over the Christmas period.

We run a cleaning company and have over 40 staff.

I myself hate working over Christmas it is a time to be with the family. But you must remember that most people whether a cleaner, an accountant or shop worker will want to be off at Christmas.

So we close down. All staff at home from 25th December - 2nd January.

We even close bank holidays. - We had a complaint where we do Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays, once and said the message was "Hello this such and such company it is Tuesday morning" The office has not been cleaned and we wish you to credit us and inform us why no cleaning has been done. There was a bit more to it...

I telephoned and spoke to the manager and I asked them where were they on Monday? They said I was playing golf near standsted airport as it was bank holiday. Then I asked where were the rest of the office staff, he said on holiday its Bank holiday.

I replied exactly, that's why your office was not cleaned. Our employees were also on holiday as it was bank holiday.

Then he said but I have paid for Monday? I then said you also have been paid for your Monday and your staff get paid also to be with their families on bank holiday He replied yes.

Same rule applies I said. There will be no credit, check the contract you signed!

We still have the contract.

Also with regards to your cleaner taking time off to move house, it should be a little give and take as we all get things we need to do that unfortunately interrupts working life and business. You have to over come them.

And if your have babies that get in the way, don't take it out on your employees. Its not there fault that you have lack of organisation. We all have made sacrifices and I am sure we all will make a few more. Thats what running a company is about otherwise you might as well go and do a 9 - 5 job and work for someone else. Less hasle.

Also you have said she contacted you. So its not without warning. - what is in here employment contract?
Do you have an employee hand book?

Do all the other 4 members follow the rules all the time?

Dave 
"You have to except that some days you are the statue and other days you are a pigeon"

angela stone

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 11:13:16 am »
Hi guys,

thanks for the replies. 

Yes she does know the correct procedures for booking a holiday.  It states that they have to have a holiday form which has been authorised before taking a holiday and that holidays are allocated on a first come first served basis.

And Dave we haven't got a lack of organisation.  We work over Christmas other than bank holidays and we always have done and that includes me.  The member of staff booked a holiday before she had the time off authorised, I don't see how that is a lack of organisation! I have worked over the last 3 christmas times and this year I have a baby due so I will probably be in hospital. I  don't see how that is taking out on the employees! I am very fair with all the staff so I object to your comment.

Pristine Clean

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 04:20:51 pm »
Sorry you took offence, It was not meant to be.

However if you are going to have to close due to one member of staff being off that is lack of organisation. As you are not prepared.

You also know you probably will be in hospital having a lovely baby. So you should have prepared more than one staff to be available.

What would happen if a member of staff went ill, had an accident, or there relatives passed away and wanted time off. Sometimes more than one member of staff can go ill or just missing.

If you need to close for one member of staff that is lack of organisation. Perhaps you should not have let all 4 staff have holiday at the same time.

Dave
"You have to except that some days you are the statue and other days you are a pigeon"

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 05:01:24 pm »
i agree with pristine,

how much work have you got in for the period that people are off,