Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

james44

How are Businesses coping in these areas
« on: October 15, 2010, 12:16:53 pm »
Top 20 most bankrupt towns

Sarah Coles
Sep 28th 2010 at 11:00AM

Filed under: Debt, Banking & Borrowing
A new study has revealed the parts of England and Wales where you are most likely to be declared bankrupt. It makes sobering reading - not least for Ed Milliband, whose constituency makes the top 20.

So where are the most insolvent towns, and what does this tell us?

The study by insolvency trade body R3 revealed that personal insolvency reached record levels in 2009, with over 134,000 for England and Wales.

The top 20 most insolvent places in the England and Wales were:

1 Torbay (which also topped the list a year earlier)
2 Mansfield
3 Weston-Super-Mare
4 North Tyneside
5 Kingston upon Hull East
6 Plymouth, Moor View
7 Gateshead
8 Plymouth, Sutton and Devenport
9 Wellingborough
10 Walsall North
11 St Austell and Newquay
12 Ashfield
13 Grantham and Stamford
14 Cannock Chase
15 Corby
16 Doncaster North
17 South Swindon
18 Eastbourne
19 Isle of Wight
20 Hastings and Rye

The list is dominated by the North East and South West, both severely hit by a decline in tourism and heavy industries.

It also features a number of areas with traditionally lower levels of income, which mean they were always more finely poised financially, and always going to suffer more in the downturn.

At the other end of the scale, the constituency with the lowest levels of personal insolvency was Wimbledon in London, followed by Tooting, Ealing (London) and Sheffield Hallam Co.

R3's President Steven Law commented: "Over the course of the last decade, personal insolvencies have increased by 350% and our research also shows that 42% of the British population are currently finding it a struggle financially to get through the month. We would expect personal insolvencies to continue to rise right across England and Wales over the next few years."

For anyone worried about debts, this should come as a wake-up call that they need to act fast and tackle them head-on. With 134,000 personal insolvencies in 2009, bankruptcy is no distant threat, it could be a terrible reality for hundreds of thousands of households.

If you are worried about debt, it's worth facing up to it as quickly as possible.

For the first steps to budgeting you can check out our guide here, and if you need help, there are some of the better debt organisations listed here.

Gilbert Sprous

Re: How are Businesses coping in these areas
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 05:05:46 pm »
I am in Mansfield and started up in November 2007 (Recession officially started in December 2007).  I have been lucky enough to stay above board and continue to grow.  I think it might be because of when I started, I had no where to go but up lol.

Gilbert

phil hodge

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 10:14:29 pm »
well i live nr sandbanks and bournemouth i am a painter and decorator but theres very little work in the building trade at the mo,so i thought of setting up a dry carpet cleaning business the machine alone was just under £4,000 did all the advertising all very professional, that was 3 months ago i had one inquiry in all that time and this is suppose to be an affluent area hate be in a poor one so have given up money running shortdont intend throwing more money after bad. phil

Griffus

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 11:33:12 pm »
My brother is an insolvency accountant and he says that there are far less companies folding than during the last recession.

Not great news for those still affected but identifies that companies look to have had a contingency in place for leaner times.

Like an earlier poster our company was set up Nov 2007.

Timing eh!!

The Great One

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 10:07:09 am »
well i live nr sandbanks and bournemouth i am a painter and decorator but theres very little work in the building trade at the mo,so i thought of setting up a dry carpet cleaning business the machine alone was just under £4,000 did all the advertising all very professional, that was 3 months ago i had one inquiry in all that time and this is suppose to be an affluent area hate be in a poor one so have given up money running shortdont intend throwing more money after bad. phil

Hi Phil

Shame you went for the host set up, Im looked at that but the price put me off, i went for Envirodri, much cheaper and an excellent system.

Don't give up, branch out.  I also EOT clean, where I do carpets also using only the envirodri system and have for seven years. If you don't mind cleaning it can be a good earner.

Regards

Martin 8)

jasonl

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 10:14:28 am »

I am working daily in Canford cliffs, lilliput , Parkstone area , where houses are up to 10 million to buy , drive round on any day for 10 minutes you will be able to count over 300 tradesmen working on these homes ,, there is loads of money there for the taking ,, these people know the value of maintaining their homes.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings