Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

As above

Spend...
51.1%
23 (51.1%)
Save
48.9%
22 (48.9%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Dave Willis

Re: Do you spend or do you save?
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 08:37:48 pm »
Spend or save was the question. First you said spend, now you say save - only to be expected I suppose.

Dave Willis

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 08:43:05 pm »
I'm not in the mood tonight for riddles - cheerio.  :)

Nigel Lee

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 08:45:38 pm »
Pensions is another subject altogether.  I'd sooner invest elsewhere myself, the majority seem to get screwed over by private pensions.

richywilts

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 08:50:00 pm »
Sorry guys, this was my reply to Richy, it got started in a new thread.  Apologies.

Shame that Richy

Is there not the demand?

Or any reason why?

Thats what I was sort of saying even if you have the latest kit, dosent mean that its going to be a profit.

Sorry to hear that.

no i just let meself get distracted too easily and theres just not enough of me to go round doing everything!! i think im tryin to run before i walk, iv got a really good well known name round my area now, im too eager too try new things always think the grass is greener!!  im just now focusing wholly on the window cleaning. i may still keep it all still and try when iv got the windows runnning smoothly
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

LWC

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 09:21:15 pm »
I'm not in the mood tonight for riddles - cheerio.  :)

It’s not a riddle; the question is to simple or even the wrong type question. Maybe it could have been phrased better rather than say save money it should have been to make money.

Yes it shouldve of been that...ill change it

LWC

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2010, 09:25:05 pm »
Cant seem to change it, take "spend" as "make money"

Ola Normann

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2010, 10:02:29 pm »
In my personal opinion, you have to spen a litte to get where you want to go.

I have tried with a nice car with tintet windows, 19" reels and so on :) Do not go that way! haha

In this month I spent some money on a fully equiped WFP hot water system - cost about 7400 ex vat.
Then also a new VW transporter 2010.

For my future, I will more or less just sell, sell & sell. And then I want to have 2-3 fulltime workers, and nothing more.
Then I can manage with making them work, and I can administrate this.

Thats my future plan, and then I have to invest some, but try to keep it to an minimum after I got enough WFP systems and cars.
You have to stay in this game, see whats new sometime. If you got more work then you can manage with 2-3 people, you can adjust your prices. And loose some, but you will have more p/h.

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2010, 10:22:29 pm »
im cutting right back too iv splashed out on steam cleaners,gutter vacs,pressure washers,airless paint sprayer all the mod cons and bits n bobs and its got me nowhere planning on selling it all off and just concentrating on window cleaning for now. its all just gathering dust now.
hire them out m8 still got em wen u need em innit  ;) ;)
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

Sean Dyer

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2010, 10:39:08 pm »
Its madness to spent money on equipment you don’t need its also just as bad to give money to the tax man when you are using essential equipment that could be updated or replaced that includes the van, if your lucky enough to have all equipment sorted, then put as much as you can into your pension fund. Tax man comes…………….last

you only save the tax not the whole amount ie if you have 10 000 spare, in tax it might cost you 3k

but ten k on a van money all gone!

id be tempted to spend 5 k on a decent second hand van and save the remainder, just because some kit is top notch you dont always need it

ie i have one or two jobs where a sl2 would be handy buying one would cost nearly a grand , the job might only £60 a month is it worth it - no, keep using a diy or old heavy pole

its good business sense to save the money as profit for now

dazmond

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2010, 10:56:53 pm »
ive spent a fair bit more this year than ive done for years but ive not long converted to wfp.ive spent about £4,500 on all my wfp set up/poles/new van/uniform/leaflets and i reckon its defo been worth it as im getting much quicker and burning through my work now!

im a firm believer in being smart/professional and reliable but certainly not flash in this game!!

also ive found that sticking to window cleaning and the few add on conny roof/fascia/soffit cleans is best for me!keeping it nice and simple! :D ;D

ill be saving a bit more now as ive got the main tools for cleaning windows at speed for the least amount of effort and maximum safety!im pretty tooled up with spares as well!

DO YOU SPEND OR SAVE??
those of us who are a bit older and wiser in this game do both!!! ;) ;D ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

chopsie

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2010, 09:56:21 pm »
seem to keep spending and unable to save
chopsie

Klean07

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2010, 07:05:29 am »
In the present economic climate its really not worth saving as the interest rate is rubbish.
For me personally though I'm always looking at ways to improve my business. I've just bought a slx pole which cost £420. Its a case of just when I think my overdraft is going to be in the black something else needs to be bought.
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2010, 07:49:04 am »
In the present economic climate its really not worth saving as the interest rate is rubbish.

I would say in this climate it is more important to save than to spend. OK so the interest rate is poor but I think it is better to have money put away than to have new equipment that you dont really need.

For me personally though I'm always looking at ways to improve my business. I've just bought a slx pole which cost £420. Its a case of just when I think my overdraft is going to be in the black something else needs to be bought.

Londoner

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2010, 08:02:16 am »
They say interest rates are set to rise over the next 2-3 years. If thats the case then we will see the real effects of the recession start to bite.

Having a bit of money behind you and no debts around your neck might well help things along.

Klean07

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2010, 08:25:40 am »

I would say in this climate it is more important to save than to spend. OK so the interest rate is poor but I think it is better to have money put away than to have new equipment that you dont really need.

As Martyn Lewis said the other day " If you have any spare money then pay your credit cards/overdraft etc because this will be more benefit to you than saving it"
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2010, 02:43:34 pm »
Thats entirely different to spending money rather than putting it away for a rainy day. His point is because of the interest rates on both. My point is that you are better putting the money away, even under you bed, than spending it on equipment you dont need.

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2010, 06:49:47 pm »
wise man say.. spend money where you have to, save money where you can.   for instance trying to work at any great height with glassfibre is nackering and time consuming hence costing you money anyway so I bought a superlite carbon fibre and the initial exspense is offset everytime i do a job quicker by time saved plus can now take on work at greater heights.
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

ascjim

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2010, 09:30:05 pm »
Thats another good point. Im just concentrating on window cleaning too. And after a stupid cladding cleaning job the other day that i spent hours on and they whinged and came they came out with a cloth and started rubbing it by hand saying "this is what you need to do" expecting me to do the whole lot like that im probably gonna drop that service to...my answer was "no i dont think so" lol

I hate ppl like that, you should of sed "do it yourself" lol