Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

cleanability

My third shrinker
« on: September 05, 2010, 03:05:47 pm »
Well law of averages has caught up with me again. After 11years had my 3 shrinker last week. Was a very clean wool axminster which wasnt overwetted and didnt need to be, but it still shrank. Going back tomorrow to have a look. Been about 5 days since I cleaned it which I think is long if enough for it to settle down and possibly go back slightly.
The lady says its shrunk about an inch in places ( its a 12 X 14 ft room ). Would a decent carpet fitter be able to stretch it back onto gripper???????????/

Thanks
Chris 

Steve. Taylor

Re: My third shrinker
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 03:31:42 pm »
If its length ways that has shrunk i would say yes with a power strecher not a knee nocker
After 5 days it should be relaxed and dry so its your only option really good luck
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

John Kelly

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 07:41:41 pm »
Chris, the key word there is "decent".

colin fitch

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 07:56:54 pm »
on the lenght it should be easy to stretch with a knee kicker no problem, but impossible on the width.

cleanability

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 08:10:54 pm »
Thanks for the replies chaps. Also an added little complication if the nightmare scenario crops up and it needs replacing is......the same carpet is in the other room and the hall stairs landing !!!!!!!!!!!  My last shrinker a few years ago I managed to replace the door bars with wider ones to cover the shrinkage by the doors and the custy was happy.

Chris

james roffey

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 08:11:28 pm »
Quite scary :o from this it appears it's a lottery for us all, i went to quote a job on Friday and first appearence was that it was a Belgian Wilton with the pattern on the reverse i gave the quote but explained that it may not be able to be cleaned using HWE he had a few samples left over and i took away a sample to test.
When i tested the sample i did give it a good soak but was still astonished to see a 10 inch piece shrink about half an inch :o so will probably use Envirodri system on it.
I also tested the sample with just a heavy prespray and that was ok but why take the risk.

cleanability

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 09:12:52 pm »
So out of interest does an axminster tend to shrink along its length or width?

Chris

Dave Whittaker

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 10:29:08 pm »
I think both length and width - with the width more prone to shrinkage.
 If the width edges have been curled and tucked in to the gully you might have a chance of correcting it. If it has been fitted net you'll struggle.

Jim_77

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 01:21:40 am »
Chris did you notice if it was already off its grippers where it shrunk?  This would normally be across door bars or if they have pulled it up to put their speaker wires underneath.

I've never experienced shrinkage from an Axminster unless it was already flapping about at the edge.

Obviously nothing you can do about it now but for the future always go round on hands and knees and test the fitting, it really is worth it.

p.s. the width is probably more likely to come untucked from the grippers: Axminster isn't flexible width-ways, making it more difficult to tuck in behind the gripper so it will come out easier.

pps. I can't remember the theory exactly but I thought it mostly shrinks in the length because the jute wefts expand making the cotton warps have to travel further round them, hence the top and bottom ends getting closer together.  Could be wrong though, I will stand corrected :)

clinton

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 08:05:49 am »
Your right there jim i tend to have a look at the fitting before i clean a new clients carpet and point out where its not on its grippers,as jim said people put there speaker wires and internet wires etc under the carpet and sometimes the carpet is not on the grippers all along there wall..

colin fitch

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 08:17:11 am »
On the length.

Jim.

Your theory is spot on, you have a good memory.

colin

Stu.Clem

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 08:11:56 pm »
speak to a veteran carpet fitter - carpets can "move" for loads of reasons and arent always fitted correctly due to the "salesmans" mis calculations - ie  an under estimated carpet  which is then fitted "net" (not folded and tucked but just cut dead to size) possibly on unsuitable smaller cheaper grippers -  also moving of heavy furniture, dragging  a high suction wand blah blah can all give the impression  of a shrunken carpet.  How many carpets have you seen coming away from a crappy door bar or near a radiator or patio door which is subject to heavy traffic or excess  moisture ingress?? Carpets do move and change dimension in differing amounts proportional to its quality and method of installation - dont always think you have shrunk one.  Just my angle as will never admit to shrinkin one when there are so many other factors to consider.  Might have missed the point so I apologise on behalf of my last beer! tho posted with good intentions from my own experience.

Stu