Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Steve Gunn

Gone Bust
« on: August 17, 2010, 04:40:25 pm »
How many of your commercial customers are no longer in business,driving through Newcastle today and noticed 2 of my regulars are no longer there

gwrightson

Re: Gone Bust
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 05:42:34 pm »
How many of your commercial customers are no longer in business,driving through Newcastle today and noticed 2 of my regulars are no longer there

Thats what happens when you charge them to much steve  ;) ;D

To be fair , not really noticed most of my commercial are still booking , only had one make a few cut backs ,
i reckon its because of the wages they are paying to their employee,s One in particular , who sups champagne most nights a  has a line or 2 ;)

geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

John Kelly

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 06:03:18 pm »
Champers is expensive but fishing doesn't cost a lot.

Colin Day

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 06:11:14 pm »
Champers is expensive but fishing doesn't cost a lot.

Isn't it £7k a week to Salmon Fish on the Junction Pool of the Tweed?  ;D

M.Acorn

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 06:14:34 pm »
2 of my regular custy`s have gone.

And just had a £436,commercial job give me the go ahead,but i won`t be here as on hol,did think about driving back for the half day ,but the wife has said she will kill me,even tried to pass it on to another company,e-mailed him,rang him,not got back to me ?
What goes around comes around

absolutecleaning

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 06:33:19 pm »
Must be someone near Cambridge area you can sub it to Mark.

M.Acorn

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 06:36:51 pm »
Company are going to ask the people who are cleaning the windows ?? Have tried passing it on to another company ,but has not contacted me !!

He was a bloke who called me out of the blue to say i could borrow his spare machine if mine broke again !! He had seen my endless posts on here about it,and felt sorry for me,he may also be away,but would have thought he would be checking e mails and phone messages ?

It`s an easy job too,would have taken me 4 hrs tops with my porty,i know he has a t,m so would do it even quicker,
What goes around comes around

wynne jones

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 08:17:03 pm »
It is going to get far worse. :'(

Think of all the council work that will be axed, all the custies who work for goverment orgs, all the service personal that will be turfed out of work. In fact the only market that will be unaffected is those working for posh custies who will just get richer.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

absolutecleaning

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 08:42:49 pm »
,but would have thought he would be checking e mails and phone messages.

You'd have thought so yeah.

Cheers

Simon

Doug Holloway

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 09:54:32 pm »
Hi Guys

Haven't noticed any here and I have spoken with 3 other local CC's , all on here in the last 2 weeks and they are all doing reasonably well.

Musn't have too much doom and gloom.

Cheers

Doug

Colin Day

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 10:17:02 pm »
Most of my custy's (Repeats) are retired anyway....

absolutecleaning

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 07:32:10 am »

Musn't have too much doom and gloom.

I think this is part of the problem.  I was talking about it yesterday with the guy I window clean with (he is a doom and gloom merchant of the highest order having got into reading a weekly money magazine which is very downbeat) and I think part of the problem is the perception.

We are lucky round here that (so far) we havent had mass redundancies or one particular industry going belly up but we have still had the same negative newspaper reports and tv progams telling people how to cut back on "luxury" items and how to do other things themselves.

If any customers ask me how its going (even if its not a good week) I tend to be upbeat so as not to spread any "fear" of spending money.

Simon

Joe H

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 08:19:42 am »
Over the last 3 years just 3 businesses I have done work for in the past have "disappeared".

The BIG upside is that my turn over so far this calender year is more then last year, and last year was more then the year before - and I tell my customers that too.
Gives them the true feeling that I was here yesterday, am here today, and will be here tomorrow.

Helen

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 09:21:33 am »
Strange how things work out isn't it. Only 15 miles from Fleet (absolute) and our town is suffering. Started about 10 months ago, when one of the longest terms, biggest employers shut down a large part of their production areas, there were many redundancies and people are struggling to find other work. Without really thinking about it there must be in the region of 7 or 8 similar sized company's that are in the same situation. It['s really sad, but I suppose large numbers of redundancies are helping to keep these businesses going. It happened in the early 80's  around here and most survived it then, even though they had massive cutbacks. There are so many empty office and factory units at present, and you only have to look in "sits vac" every week to see what is happening. 2 years ago there would have been 8 or 9 pages of jobs, now there is 1 page and half a page of part time vacancies. It seems that small to medium businesses aren't doing too bad, but they are not employing.
A bit doom and gloom I'm afraid, but we just think of it as levelling out the for the previous years when businesses overspent when probably there was no need to.
We have never relied on getting commercial business and treat such as "bonuses", much prefer to stick with domestic (better for cashflow :) We are ticking along nicely at the moment, it could be better, it could be worse, and when customers ask how we are fairing, we just say that we are doing ok and that we don't believe all they say on the TV and in the media. ;)

Barry Livingstone

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 09:02:03 pm »
Alright steve,

Ive done more commercial this year than i have done for years, but my domestic customers are down!!
Carpet, Upholstery cleaning & hard floor cleaning.
                     Fife, perth and tayside.

Ian Rochester

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 03:19:40 am »
I've just got back off holiday and found out that a company I used to work for which employs 250 people from the local area locked their doors last Wednesday and went into receivership.

I've been cleaning their carpets twice a year for the past 6 years