Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

wayne zabel

Any Ideas on this Please
« on: August 20, 2010, 11:38:08 am »
I posted on here a few weeks ago about some sofas I'd been asked to clean,they are plain deep purple and a velvet type fabric.

Anyway went to do them today and told the client that I would do a test on a small cushion and run the outcome by her before doing all the job,my main concern was pile distortion.

I used a microsplitter and cleaned a cushion and when I reset the pile with a Terry Towel I got a slight purple transfer onto the towel,the pile reset fine.

Does anyone have any ideas why this happened?Could it just be a crap fabric or is it something Ive done. I have set my mind thinking and I'm now wondering if I got the dilution rates wrong - would this have caused the fabric to transfer dye to the towel.I didn't continue with job as neither me or the client were happy to.

Thanks wayne

jasonl

Re: Any Ideas on this Please
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 11:40:03 am »
Look , really close at the towel , I suspect it will be tiny fibres (crocking)  rather than actual dye.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

wayne zabel

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 05:52:12 pm »
Just had a look at the towel and I'm sure its transfer of dyes,had a look under a magnifying glass and cant see any bits of fabrics.

John Kelly

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 09:01:43 pm »
You do occasionally get dye transfer especially on strong colours like purple dark blue and red. I would do a test clean on a small area and if its ok just do it.

Dean Wilson

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 09:20:01 pm »
Look , really close at the towel , I suspect it will be tiny fibres (crocking)  rather than actual dye.

Absolutely correct. Done a similar (cheaply constructed) bright red suite today and I initially thought the same; red dye transfer. But on closer inspection it was as Jason suggested, some loose fibres. Was a little worrying to see but didn't effect a good end result.

ianharper

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 07:17:20 am »
wayne

why dont you have a look a foam cleaning? JK does a machine and there is the

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JicX_WyukM

clinton

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 08:55:36 am »
Wayne why dont you just try a small section at the back of the cushion the part that has the zipper..

Deep purple love it smoke on the water ;D

wayne zabel

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 09:22:43 am »
Wayne why dont you just try a small section at the back of the cushion the part that has the zipper..

Deep purple love it smoke on the water ;D

Thats what i did.and the dye ran so I packed up and didnt do the job - Why would the dye run????
The microsplitter was only ph6.8 so it wasnt highly alkaline.

If the dilution was wrong would this happen

robert meldrum

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 10:15:52 am »
Red or mainly red content dyes are the most unstable and prone to run / transfer. There were suites a few years ago whih were very popular - sort of Regency Stripe and cleaned up beautifully except for the thin red stripe in the pattern which would run like Bolt if it got the chance.

We adopted a " hit and run " tactic to overcome that particular problem. If cleaning older carpets with red in the pattern I still expect to see some dye transfer.

clinton

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 07:36:54 pm »
Roberts right wayne and i still come up against some of the red dye type and get transfer in the water..

wayne zabel

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 07:51:31 pm »
Seeing as it was all the same colour would it have been safe to clean it?I had visions of it drying all blotchy