Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

LWC

Keeping on top of things, taking people on
« on: June 13, 2010, 11:55:18 am »
Ive finally sat down to take a look at all my work and giving myself a kick up backside.

I tried taking on a few people last year, another van, uniforms, flyers etc etc, but got messed around with them which cost me time and money and as a result knocked me. I have really lost interest this last year or so and its really reflected in my work, earnings and even picking up work. Im always picking up work, at least 10 a week, but i really havent been bothered. Ive got rid of a loads of work because cant be dong with them, any probs i just tell them forget it and i get in car, dropped a £120 job other day cause they were doing my head in. 

I have some real nice work now and appreciative customers which is where i wanted to be, just wish my plans had happened. Should of just carried on my own building as i was with all my enthusiasm, but had bigger plans which other people spoilt.

What im trying to say is unless youve really got it in you to employ dont bother, its messed me right up. Maybe im just too young and in experienced to do it. I wish i could, and i probably would like to try again because i want it to work. Its just not easy. There was a post on here the other day from a business forum saying get someone to do it for you and give them £60...easy...well i found it a little different.

Tell us about your stories

lyndy

Re: Keeping on top of things, taking people on
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 12:30:05 pm »
Hi mate we started up about a year ago,we both have other businesses,so we always planned to take someone on.which we did about 4 months ago.what a bloody nitemare.the first guy we found out did odd jobs for our custys and made bulls up of them,2nd guy spending like 2 hours to do a job when it should have been 30 mins,I bought a tracker found out what he was up to.                                                               At this point we was going to jack it in couldn't be arsed with the grief,but along came the 3rd guy,he is outstanding the custys love him he turns up on time.                What I would say to you is keep at it with there are some good workers out there

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 05:42:55 pm »
Alan struggled to find someone and he took me on (his wife) and it works rather well! Would never take on another employee, it is just too hard to spot whether they are good or not!

andyatkinson

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 06:11:37 pm »
Hang in there my sensai, Ive had all kinds of losers working for me over the years, first transitioned from ladders to wfp and had to revert again as employee messed up so badly.
If your interested in the future Matt I have found some good ways to get the right people, last guy I employed I stuck an ad in the job centre and had over 300 applicants, whittled it down like the x factor and found one of the best guys Ive ever had. He was interviewed properly (twice) treated like a proper job and made me realise all my mistakes from employing mates of mates, family and on a whim to help people out, take it seriously and they tend to take you seriously. The other main thing was when I started treaating my business like a job, put the hours in, clock on clock off.
Catch up soon buddy, Andy

trevor perry

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 06:44:53 pm »
i employ over 20 staff and it is all a numbers game, i still have a couple that are no good wasters but it takes time to get rid of them with employment law as it is but i also have some very good staff and when you find them pay them well and look after them, there are still plenty of really good employees out there but you go through a fair few muppets to find them.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt