Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

boshravie

Scratched Glass
« on: June 10, 2010, 07:00:37 pm »
Hi guys, I am just wondering if any of you have had this kind of problem, one of our clients claiming that we have scratched he roof windows while we washed them. ???
Have you had  this kind of problem before and whats the solution?

Your cooperation would be much appreciate it.   

Bosh

chopsie

Re: Scratched Glass
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 07:14:54 pm »
Some one posted the other week about this, A custie claiming he had scratched all his windows. When i first came on here
last year WFP was the dogs danglies, It could do no wrong, So I ended up investing in it. Now all I read is posts of it scratching glass, Brushes scratching/marking sills, Window cleaners who themselves say it does not do as good a job as trad, After cleaning their own windows  ??? As for ladders, I used to use them almost daily in my last job (used to rig safety nets off them) But after all the 'Go wfp, ladders are not safe' type of posts, I find myself getting nervous using a ladder. As for trolley's......well apparently they are no good anymore and people have just chucked them down the tip  :-\
chopsie

boshravie

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 07:23:25 pm »
Hi chopsie
Many thanks for your positive feedback very informative  :)

chopsie

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 07:25:51 pm »
no problem boshravie, glad to be of service  :P :-*
chopsie

davids3511

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 07:28:09 pm »
Tell us more about it. Have you seen it, can you imaging how it might have happened?

andyM

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 07:33:12 pm »
Did you clean the windows Trad or WFP?
One of the Plebs

Jack Wallace

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 07:37:43 pm »
One of my guys (he has since left) scratched two windows in one day, not even on the same house  :(

Not much I could do really, I just apologised and offerd to put right the damage, in the end both customers accepted a few months free cleaning. I was prepared to replace if needed but offered as many alternatives as possible, but kept stressing the free cleans would be the less traumatic, ie no messing with contractors.
I made it worth their while by saving them quite a bit more than the cost of replacement so they were happy to be making profit and so was I as it just cost me time.
But more importantly my reputation was intact and they are both still good customers, (oh and I put up the prices fairly soon after)  ;)

andyM

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 07:42:20 pm »
Did you find out how the windows managed to get scratched Jack?
One of the Plebs

boshravie

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 08:02:36 pm »
Well  these windows are on top of the roof, and they are very small double glazed ones, I went and had a look from inside today and yes I found quiet few long stroke scratches , just can’t figure out how can a brush scratch glass, they must be some cheep double glaze glasses.  :-\

bobby p

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 08:09:29 pm »
can plastic  scratch glass ?   for example if i  got a plastic dinner knife and slashed it over a pane of glass would it scratch ??

i read somewhere that aluminium would not scratch glass?, but course i know steel does

chopsie

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 08:13:23 pm »
can plastic  scratch glass ?   for example if i  got a plastic dinner knife and slashed it over a pane of glass would it scratch ??
try it  :) 
If some grit was on the glass off the roof, then yes as you scrub up and down it will scratch the glass, Also i would of though the plastic edge of a brush could potentially scratch glass, especially if its slightly worn off brickwork etc
chopsie

bobby p

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 08:32:01 pm »
maybe you could drill small holes around the edge of brush and put little plugs of soft rubber in each hole ,sticking out a fraction. then that wouldnt let the sharp plastic touch the glass /

Jack Wallace

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 08:45:27 pm »
Did you find out how the windows managed to get scratched Jack?
Yes, there was a stubborn mark on each so he turned his brush (wfp) on its side and used the hilt to rub it off. I can only assume it had some grit or something on it.

R W C™

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 09:27:58 pm »
Did you ajust the brush head so the angle ment only the bristles touch the glass, if not the stock would touch the glass hence the scratches....

boshravie

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 10:56:55 pm »
Did you ajust the brush head so the angle ment only the bristles touch the glass, if not the stock would touch the glass hence the scratches....
Oohhhh yes I made sure the brush was firmly on the glass.

boshravie

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 11:29:54 pm »
I found this on Google hope this will help :  is possible to repair scratches with some simple products that are easily available at home. Let us have a look.
We know that nail paints are for decorating your nails, but they can also be great to repair scratches on glass. For this purpose you must use a colorless nail paint. Apply a thin coat of nail paint on the scratch and set it to dry. The excess nail paint can be cleaned with a cloth. You can also use a nail paint remover for cleaning the excess nail paint after it has dried.
Metal polishers like Brasso are also effective in repairing scratches from glass. Put a few drops of Brasso cleaner on a cloth and polish the glass surface with it. Repeat the process a couple of times. Brasso helps in repairing the scratch on glass by reducing its prominence.
Toothpaste can also help in the repair of scratched glass. But you must make sure to use the non-gel type. Cover the scratch with a coat of toothpaste and set it to dry. Once it hardens, clean it with a cloth. This should help remove the scratch. This will be helpful in repairing scratched glass of a table top or window.
If you are thinking of how to repair scratched glass of a windshield, try a glass repair kit, which can easily be bought at an auto parts store. It is easier and safer to use. But let a professional manage the deeper cracks.
If you wish to repair scratched sunglasses, try using Armor Etch. Although it is used for etching, it is also used in repair of scratched glass. Put some drops on a piece of cotton or cloth and apply it on the glass. Let it set for a couple of minutes and then wash it with water.
Mix equal amounts of dry mustard and white vinegar into a paste. Spread this paste on the scratch and allow it to dry. On drying, wipe off the paste with a cloth.
Jeweler's rouge can also be used to repair scratches from glass. Apply some jeweler's rouge on a cloth and buff the scratch. Although jeweler's rouge is expensive, it can help in repairing scratches on glass.
If the scratch in the glass is deep and you aren't sure of how to repair scratched glass, then it's better to seek professional help. Sometimes the scratches are beyond repair and the only way out is to replace the glass. Also, you must take as many precautionary measures as possible to prevent the glass from scratches, for e.g. drape the table top with a cover. It is better to have the scratches on the glass repaired as soon as possible to maintain it's sheen.

e newlands

Re: Scratched Glass New
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 07:05:26 am »
there seems to be a lot more of this going on lately sign of the times ive got to a stage now where i check windows for damage particually on conservatories prior to starting with a new client and ask whether there is any damage
it a easy fix for some people
it all comes down to trust and honesty but there are some slimy tossers out there so beware