Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jake

H&S debate, food for thought?
« on: August 23, 2005, 05:43:35 pm »
FOLLOWING DEATH OF WINDOW CLEANER, HSE URGES SAFETY WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT

Following the tragic death of a window cleaner in Ilkley over Easter, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) reminds all people working at height to ensure they take suitable precautions to prevent falling, or minimise injury.

The 44 year old man was cleaning a 5th floor window leaning out from a balcony, when the railing gave way. He fell approximately 50 feet to his death. Falls from height are the most common cause of fatal injury and the second most common cause of major injury to employees, accounting for 15% of all such injuries.

David Powell, Principal Inspector with the HSE gives some general advice about working at height:

"Don't start the work until you have properly planned how you are going to do it, and you have fully considered, assessed and controlled the risks involved. Don't underestimate these - simply 'taking care' is not enough and proper precautions must be in place.

"Making do without the right equipment to minimise expense can lead to injury or death, as well as prosecution if the law is broken."

More detailed, free guidance on working safely at height can be found on the HSE website; http://www.hse.gov.uk. In particular, there are three information sheets (MISC611, 612 & 613) specifically relating to window cleaning which can be obtained in the publications section on the website.

Exeter, Devon

Jake

Re: H&S debate, food for thought?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 05:51:10 pm »
I must point out that those are not my words, I cut and pasted them from an article by the Government Network News

Regards ....Jake
Exeter, Devon

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 05:56:59 pm »
ni i have already told you
  "i do not want to buy one of your poles"

williamx

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 07:41:02 pm »
In 2003/2004 67 people died and nearly 4000 suffered a serious injury as a result of a fall from height in the workplace.

Falls from height are the most common cause of fatal injury and the second most common cause of major injury to employees, accounting for around 15% of all such injuries. All industry sectors are exposed to the risks presented by this hazard although the level of incidence varies considerably.

As a result, Falls from Height are a key priority in the Health and Safety Commission Injury Reduction Programme. The objective is to reduce injury rates by 10% by 2010 against a 1999/00 baseline.

Experience shows that falls from height usually occur as a result of poor management control rather than because of equipment failure.

williamx

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 07:43:04 pm »
You don't have to buy a pole, but I would recomend a life assurance policy for your next of kin.

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 07:50:27 pm »
In 2003/2004 67 people died and nearly 4000 suffered a serious injury as a result of a fall from height in the workplace

"
Making do without the right equipment to minimise expense can lead to injury or death, as well as prosecution if the law is broken."

If no one minds would like to use the above in my advertising to commercial bussineses, any more short, powerful quotes welcomed, Thanks

Alan
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

Rob_Mac

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 08:47:56 pm »
People don't bounce very well!!!!!!!!

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 08:59:09 pm »
The falling's easy,

it's just stopping when I reach the ground that gets me..
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

baldeagle

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 10:11:55 pm »
Has anybody bothered to work out just how many people work at height, and DON'T fall?

I thought not, it's a bit like that other statistic "If you travel at 31 mph in a 30mph limit you MUST be dangerous"

Baldeagle
"John the Window Cleaner."
A business founded during the Elizabethan age.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 10:56:46 pm »
In 2003/2004 67 people died and nearly 4000 suffered a serious injury as a result of a fall from height in the workplace.

Falls from height are the most common cause of fatal injury and the second most common cause of major injury to employees, accounting for around 15% of all such injuries. All industry sectors are exposed to the risks presented by this hazard although the level of incidence varies considerably.

As a result, Falls from Height are a key priority in the Health and Safety Commission Injury Reduction Programme. The objective is to reduce injury rates by 10% by 2010 against a 1999/00 baseline.

Experience shows that falls from height usually occur as a result of poor management control rather than because of equipment failure.

That settles it.  I'm definitely taking a parachute up my ladder tomorrow.